The Acura MDX is a high-end SUV for those who like a powerful engine and a lot of high-tech, plus the budget to cover it all. I drove with two other adults in the MDX about 750 miles from Bothell to Redmond, Oregon. We didn’t have to stop for gas on the way there with a 19.5 gallon tank. I filled up once in Redmond and made it all the way back home.
Traveling over the mountains was a breeze. We passed slow moving vehicles in passing lanes with little effort. I’m guessing putting the pedal to the metal would have been a blast, but not incredibly safe. 70 mph felt like 40 mph so it’s easy to speed.
The MDX has enough seating for seven passengers. Usually this is fine if there are children in the third row. We didn’t attempt to fit any adults there, just luggage. The back seat was not completely comfortable for a 6+ foot male. Head room is listed as about the same as the front (38.1 inches in the front versus 38.3 inches in the second row).
• Bluetooth, XM Radio
• Turning radius – we made a lot of U-turns being in a new town.
• Navigation – sometimes setting this up is time-consuming traveling between two states, but it’s nice to find “what’s nearby.”
• Power Tailgate – hard to go back to opening/closing your trunk after this one!
• Warnings! Mark might disagree, but it was funny to hear the car yell at the passengers to keep their seat belts on while the car was still moving. “Brake” also shows up on the windshield if the car thinks you are too close to the vehicle in front of you, regardless of speed.
• Many accessory plug-in/charger options.
• The seat belt didn’t lower enough for me (short person problems always exist) but the seat does raise to help relieve this.
• Some didn’t like the blue color I had, but that’s definitely personal preference.
Things I didn’t get to test properly but sound cool:
• Voice recognition
• Lane Keeping Assistance
• Adaptive Cruise Control. I just rarely set cruise control. Does that mean I have control issues?
• Engine: 290-hp, 3.5 liter, 24-valve, SOHC i-VTEC® V-6 with Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM®)
• EPA Fuel Economy Ratings: 20 / 28 / 23 Front-Wheel Drive; 18 / 27 / 21 SH-AWD
• Transmission: 6-speed automatic with Sequential SportShift paddle shifters and Grade Logic Control
• Audio: Acura Premium Audio System w/ 8 speakers, USB7 Audio Interface & iPod®8 integration and SiriusXM® Satellite Radio4, Aha™ and Pandora®45 compatibility
• Exterior: 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, rain-sensing windshield wipers and LED puddle lights
• Entertainment: Acura DVD Rear Entertainment System with 9-inch full VGA screen
• Audio: 11th speaker added to the Acura/ELS Studio®32 Premium Audio System
• Interior: Sport seats with perforated Milano premium leather-trimmed interior, heated and ventilated front seats and front passenger’s power-lumbar support and 7-passenger seating
• Exterior: Exclusive 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, roof rails
• Safety & Security: Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™) with head-up warning, Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)59 and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with low-speed follow53