PSE is having a bit of a tough time getting customers to take advantage of a very good deal because — frankly — it does sound too good to be true.
Puget Sound Energy is rounding up old, inefficient refrigerators and clothes washers and replacing them with a limited number of ENERGY STAR® qualified models — for free. And it gets better: PSE will even remove and recycle the old appliance when they deliver the new one. The new models will be up to four times more efficient and can save customers $200 a year on their energy bills.
Customers must own the old appliance and have residential PSE electric service. Replacement refrigerators are a basic white, single-door, top-freezer model. Replacement clothes washers come in top and front load options.
For an old refrigerator to qualify for free replacement, it should be:
• Manufactured in or before 1992 and currently in working condition
• 10 to 30 cubic feet in size
• The primary food storage in the kitchen
• Plugged into a properly grounded (3 prong) outlet.
For an old clothes washer to qualify for free replacement, it should be:
• Manufactured in 1997 or before and in working condition
• Connected to an electric water heater and used with an electric dryer
• Connected to a properly functioning water hose
• Plugged into a properly grounded (3-prong) outlet
Customers can figure out the age of their appliance by checking inside the door or on the back for a label with the year it was manufactured, or by visiting www.appliance411.com/service/date-code.php.
PSE offers free appliances and rebates to help maintain affordable, reliable energy for everyone. It’s less expensive to save energy than build expensive new power plants, substations, pipelines and other infrastructure that’s used to deliver electricity and natural gas to homes. Plus, saving power makes good sense.
Those who are interested can learn if they qualify by calling 1-877-341-2314, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. More information can be found at pse.com/appliancereplacement.