On Thursday, Jan. 12, Fulton lost everything she had in her storage unit in a three-alarm fire that destroyed Sherlock Self Storage near Maltby.
“The personal items and business merchandise lost are insured,” Fulton said, “but I had a whole lot of packing material — styrofoam peanuts, bubble wrap and air pillows, stuff I use every day to protect packages for shipping — that was lost.”
She said she thought some local folks may still be holding on to the recyclables that often get thrown away.
“If they have it and want to get rid of it, I’ll be happy to take it. It’ll help me and help them. All they have to do is bring it to the store.”
Pony Mailbox, a locally-owned Woodinville landmark since 1984, is located at 13110 NE 177th Pl., near McLendon Hardware and Dairy Queen, just north of the Little Bear Creek Parkway underpass. The phone number is (425) 483-0360.
According to Snohomish County Fire District 7 Public Information Officer Autumn Waite, the fire marshal’s office determined that the storage facility conflagration started from a candle in one of the units.
“Apparently the person who lit the candle either left the building or fell asleep on a couch,” she said.
“The fire spread through the attic of the facility and firefighters had difficulty accessing the space because of metal construction meant to keep people from being able to climb from one storage unit to the next,” Waite said.
Many of the units were packed with flammable materials, including lawnmowers and couches, which continued to fuel the blaze.
There were no injuries. The initial damage estimate was $750,000 and the 85-unit building is a complete loss.