The Northshore Fire Department was dispatched at 6:11 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 14, to a residential fire in the 18800 block of 33rd Ave. NE.
On arrival, the responding crew saw dark smoke coming from the garage. The firefighters performed a search of the house and found an occupant in the smoke-filled living room and removed her from the building.
The occupant suffered minor injuries and was transported to a local hospital for evaluation.
Quick actions by the responding crews saved the occupant from serious injury and prevented the fire from extending into the house. The Northshore firefighters were assisted by personnel from Shoreline Fire Department.
The fire damage was limited to the garage and caused an estimated $14,000 damage.
The occupant stated that she was trying to find something in the garage using a candle for light when she accidentally dropped the candle on some stored clothes.
After unsuccessful attempts to extinguish the fire, she called 911 to report the fire.
Candles can be a significant fire hazard and should only be used with caution. Always keep a flashlight handy for use when you have a power outage or when available lighting is inadequate.