PANCAKE BREAKFAST LIKE A BIG FAMILY REUNION
For the past ten years, our family has been attending the Duvall Pancake Breakfast at the Fire Station.
I still remember the first year we decided to go. There was a huge line all the way up the street past the fire station. We almost decided not to go because we thought we were going to be in line for hours.
Fortunately, the firemen of Duvall are not only efficient at fighting fires; they are also very efficient with grilling pancakes! It only took us a half hour to make it to the pancakes. We were treated to coffee while we stood in line. Not only were there pancakes, there were M&M mouse pancakes for the kids, ham, eggs, applesauce, OJ and hot cocoa. It was well worth the wait. We haven’t missed a year since that first year.
For us, and many of our friends, the pancake breakfast is like a big family reunion. As we looked around, our kids kept yelling, there’s the Rezoskis, the Sweneys, the Wilsons, and there’s the Wolfs! Oh, and there’s the Zuber, Beck and the Vandenbos families. And…there is MRS. HARRIS! (The principal of our school).
Some of these friends we see all the time, others we see once or twice a year. Regardless, it’s fun to see them at the breakfast, all in one place.
Not only is the pancake breakfast a time to see old friends, but it’s also a time to make new ones. Several years ago, we sat down next to a couple and started chatting with them. We found out they had just moved to the area and it was their first pancake breakfast. During our conversation, we learned they were Conrad and Nancy Robertson. Conrad had just been hired as the new superintendent for the Riverview School District, the district that our kids were in. Needless to say, we found lots to talk about.
This year was especially memorable for us. We were on a tight schedule and when we got to the cashier to pay for our breakfast, we realized we only had our debit cards with us. We had forgotten that the breakfast is cash or check only. We didn’t have time to wait through the entire line again so we were going to have to leave.
But, we live in Duvall, a place where Random Acts of Kindness happen on a regular basis! A wonderful, generous lady named Sigrid overheard our dilemma and offered to pay for our breakfast.
It was so awesome for our kids to witness a Random Act of Kindness! THANK YOU SIGRID! We learned after talking to Sigrid and her daughters, Laura and Kaitlin, that she has been attending the pancake breakfast since 1974. Her mom used to help make pancakes for the breakfast. We are so grateful that she was in line behind us!
If you haven’t attended the pancake breakfast, you are really missing out on a great event. If you need a few more reasons why you should attend next year, I will give you 10!
Top Ten Reasons To Attend The Duvall Firefighters Pancake Breakfast
10. The breakfast is a local event and it’s affordable!
9. You can meet firefighters, climb on fire trucks and spray a fire hose.
8. There is amazing food with refills delivered to your table.
7. You can see lots of your friends and family!
6. You will see lots of adorable children in fire hats.
5. You can win awesome local stuff donated by Duvall businesses.
4. You can buy new, inexpensive bike helmets for your entire family.
3. You can meet amazing people like Sigrid and the Robertsons!
2. You can see Pete, a fireman who has been flipping pancakes at the breakfast for 16 years. He is easy to spot. He wears a special "hat" that makes him look like he has a cooking utensil sticking out the side of his head! Always a favorite with the kids!
1. And the top ten number one reason to attend is…YOU CAN SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR OUR AMAZING FIREFIGHTERS!
Last but not least, I would like to give special thanks to Julie Gunn who organized the breakfast this year. You did an amazing job Julie!
(Paul, Randy and Colby)