KENMORE — The Northshore Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 6:56 a.m. on Thursday, April 14, in the 18500 block of 80th Avenue NE. Upon arrival, firefighters found smoke in the basement of a single-family rambler.
The basement contained a small apartment, and firefighters discovered a fire on the stovetop. The fire was confined to the apartment and was under control in approximately five minutes.
Occupants on the main level of the home were awakened by the smoke alarm. They discovered light smoke in the basement, called 911 and evacuated safely, although two family cats died in the fire.
There were no firefighter injuries. Damages to the home are estimated at $10,000.
The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental.