Family fun with free plant tours, art, music, food and environmental education will be featured at the grand opening celebration of Brightwater wastewater treatment system (22509 State Route 9 SE, Woodinville) Saturday, Sept. 24 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
In addition to the treatment facilities, people are invited to check out Brightwater’s amenities, which include an education and community center with public meeting space, restored wildlife habitat and 70 acres of publicly accessible open space and trails.
Highlights of the day include:
• Official “flipping on the switch”
• Blessing of the Water ceremony by the Tulalip, Suquamish and Squaxin Tribes
• Tours of the plant, the art, the habitat and the Brightwater education center
• The “Poo Fighters” Operator’s National Competition Team
• Community resources expo with dozens of exhibits, and a garden clinic
• Live music with the Pacific Cascade Big Band, Garfield Jazz Band and Seattle Youth Symphony
• Performance, art, dance and book readings and activities just for kids
Parking is limited on site, and will most likely become full early. To accommodate everyone, a free shuttle will run from the Woodinville Park & Ride, located at 17800 140th Ave. N.E. in Woodinville. Shuttles will run every 20 minutes from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Additional event information is available at http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/brightwater-center/events/Sept24_2011.asp.