Moms, career women, singles enjoying life with close friends and family, and even women approaching their retirement years – women at every life stage can benefit from adding simple activities to improve their happiness and health. Activities can range from enjoying a delicious breakfast to incorporating a cardiovascular workout to limbering up and stretching those muscles.
In honor of National Women’s Health Week, May 13 to 19, consider incorporating a new element to your day to enrich your lifestyle, improve your digestive health and give you energy to tackle the rest of your day. Need some ideas? Try one of these options:
• Flexible body –Healthy stretching can improve flexibility, and help reduce joint or muscle pain. Target core muscles in the legs – such as hips, thighs and calves – and in the upper torso including the lower back, neck and shoulders. While stretching, don’t bounce, or push the stretch past the point of pain. Gently hold each stretch for about 30 seconds.
• Fun workouts – Exercise can be a very negative word for some women, but there are several ways to enjoy a physical workout. Like to dance? Sign up for an adult jazz, ballroom dance or even Zumba class. Don’t like to sweat? Take your workout to the pool with some water aerobics. Bored? Bring a friend or family member with you for some exercise like a bike ride, inline skating, a walk or maybe even a yoga class.
• Breakfast treats – What you consume at the beginning of the day can determine how the rest of your day goes. Getting good amounts of fiber and protein through fruits and dairy products is a great way to target heart health, and maintain high energy levels throughout the day. Enjoy a fruit smoothie at the start of your day, and add some Sunsweet Prune Juice, a good source of six vitamins and minerals naturally found in California-grown prunes. This all natural, high quality juice is a great way to introduce more fiber, potassium and magnesium into your diet. Try this smoothie recipe to kick start your day:
Sweet and Sassy Smoothie
1/4 cup plain or vanilla low fat yogurt
1/2 cup Sunsweet Prune Juice
1 teaspoon honey
1 medium banana, peeled
• For an extra boost of protein, add 1/4 egg substitute or 2 tablespoons protein powder
3 ice cubes
In a blender container, combine all ingredients except the ice cubes. Cover and blend until smooth. Add ice cubes, cover and blend until ice is chopped.
• Me time – The constant on-the-go of children, careers, spouses and thousands of activities can wear a woman down. Add a little “me time” into the daily schedule. Try setting the alarm 10 minutes earlier for stretching before tackling the day. Over the lunch hour, take a walk to a local park in nice weather, or call your best friend for a quick catch-up. Or take the time before bedtime to paint your toenails or read a novel. Consider adding a half-hour of uninterrupted time for an at-home spa treatment. This “me time” is very important for a female’s mental and emotional well-being, and should cater to her specific indulgences.
Adding a new healthy living event on a daily basis should be a goal for every woman to boost her health, her energy levels and even emotions. For additional general health tips, recipes and information from dietitians, purchase two Sunsweet Juice products and receive a free Healthy Mornings Guide. Visit www.facebook.com/SunsweetJuice to learn more.