At its Oct. 30 study session, Bothell City Council received the proposed 2013-2014 biennial budget presentation from City Manager Bob Stowe. The total 2013-2014 proposed City of Bothell budget appropriation is $231,914,189. Within that, the 2013-2014 general fund portion of the budget is $78,150,611 and proposes a balanced spending plan. The general fund supports most of the City’s basic services, including community development, engineering, general administration, parks, planning, public safety (police and fire) and recreation. General fund expenditures are almost wholly funded by revenues from various taxes, such as retail sales, property and utility taxes.
“I am proud of the City’s ability to continue to provide a stable level of services despite escalating prices and multiple years of declining revenues associated with the Great Recession and its slow recovery” said City manager Bob Stowe. “Maintaining quality services requires a commitment to continually realign our expenses against available revenues. During these turbulent economic times, the City accomplished what few have done by continuing to provide quality services without the need for layoffs, furloughs, or draconian cuts in services. I look ahead to a new fiscal year with confidence and optimism that the City will continue to be successful in addressing the challenges that lie ahead with a recovering economy. The 2013-2014 Budget once again requires this same fiscal discipline to reset our expenditure base within projected revenues.”
Over the next few weeks, the city manager and staff will be presenting the details of the proposed budget to the council and citizens, as well as providing the opportunity for public input and analysis by the council leading to the adoption of the biennial budget on Dec. 4 (subject to change). The budget adoption process consists of various study sessions and public hearings.
City of Bothell Budget Presentation Timeline
All council meetings begin at 6 p.m. and are held at the City of Bothell Municipal Court (10116 NE 183rd Street) unless otherwise noted. All dates are tentative and subject to change; call (425) 486-3256 to confirm.
• Nov. 13, Public Hearing regarding proposed ordinance amending the 2011-2012 biennial budget
• Nov. 13, Study Session regarding proposed 2013-2014 biennial budget
• Nov. 13, Resolution setting 2013-2014 fee schedule
• Nov. 13, Public Hearing Regarding property and EMS tax levies in King and Snohomish Counties
• Nov. 13, Public Hearing and proposed ordinance regarding utility rates
• Nov. 20, Ordinances establishing property and EMS tax levies in the King and Snohomish counties
• Nov. 20, Public Hearing regarding proposed 2013-2014 biennial budget
• Dec. 4, Ordinance approving the final 2013-2014 biennial budget
Council meetings are aired live and replay on BCTV Channel 21/26 (available to Comcast/Frontier customers within Bothell city limits) and are viewable online at www.ci.bothell.wa.us.