Tax credits bring money to north King County cities

  • Written by Woodinville Weekly Staff

Many families are eligible for valuable tax credits every year which bring millions of dollars to residents of north King County cities.

Residents in turn spend their refunds in local communities, helping support local businesses and contributing to community vitality.

To receive refundable tax credits, you must file a tax return.

When you file your taxes, make sure you ask about these credits and be sure to use one of the free tax preparation sites shown below.

• The federal Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit for families that pay for child care when they go to work. This credit is worth up to $2,100.

• The federal Child Tax Credit (CTC) is for families raising children (under 17). This credit is worth up to $1,000 per child, and is refundable for families earning at least $3,000.

• The federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is designed to boost the wages of eligible families. This refundable credit is worth up to $5,891 and is available to married couples earning less than $50,270 or singles earning less than $45,060.

The average refund to Shoreline residents in 2010 was $1,491.

Nationally, the EITC is the second most important federal anti-poverty program after social security, lifting an estimated 6.6 million adults including 3.3 million children out of poverty.

Save even more by using one of the free tax sites (Call 2-1-1 for a list of all free sites)

Richmond Beach Library

19601 21st Ave NW

February 8 to April 12

Friday’s 10:00 -4:00 PM

Call Shoreline/Lake Forest Park Senior Center at (206) Call 365-1536 to schedule an appointment

Walk-ins on space-available basis

Shoreline Library

345 NE 175th St

February 2 to April 12

Thursdays 4:30-8:00 PM

Saturdays 12:00 – 4:00 PM

No appointment Necessary

Hopelink Shoreline

15809 Westminster

Aurora Square next to Marshalls

January 16-April 13th

Wednesdays 5:00-9:00 PM

Thursdays 1:00-9:00 PM

Saturday 10:00 -2:00 PM

No Appointment Necessary

Hopelink has non-English language staff as follows: Wednesdays Korean; Thursdays Chinese and Saturdays Spanish.

What To Bring: photo ID, social security cards and birth dates for each person on the return, W-2s or proof of income, any 1099 forms for income from interest, dividends, ($3,200 limit on investment income) retirement, social security or unemployment, last year’s return if you have it.

If filing jointly both filer and spouse must be present to file electronically.

For child dependent care tax credit name address and tax payer identification number of child care provider.

Other items: student loan payments and records of payments for educational expenses and bank account number for direct deposit.

Help Spread the Word

Use your internal newsletter, social media and other outreach techniques to let clients and residents know about the federal tax credits and the free tax sites.

Groups who may not know about tax credits but who may qualify include anyone whose marital status changed during the past year, grandparents raising grandchildren, limited English speaking, self employed, people receiving disability pensions or who have children with disabilities and the unemployed.

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to Twitter