Every city has a history, and Woodinville, celebrating its 20th birthday this year, is no exception. Like any other city, certain landmarks are named for prominent citizens. Here’s the back-story on the names that dot some of Woodinville’s parks, historical homes and buildings:
Wilmot Gateway Park
Anyone who’s bicycled, jogged, walked or rollerbladed along the Sammamish River trail from Bothell through Woodinville to Redmond has passed through Wilmot Gateway Park. Located at 17301 – 131st Avenue NE, the Woodinville City Council unanimously voted to name the city’s first community park after Jerry Wilmot.
Wilmot moved to Woodinville in 1977 where he worked as the general manager, president and vice chairman of Molbak’s Nursery. Not only was he instrumental in improving the nursery’s success, he was very active in spearheading and chairing committees in Woodinville that helped improve NE 175th Street and adopting and implementing a beautification plan for downtown.
Wilmot also served on the Chamber of Commerce’s Land Use Committee and Woodinville Coordinating Committee to plan for Woodinville’s transition from the county to cityhood. He also was active with Woodinville Rotary and helped with the development of the Northshore YMCA.
He died in January 1995 from complications related to ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease) at the age of 50. It is fitting the city’s first park was named after Wilmot who was a triathlete who loved sports and outdoor activities.
The 3.7-acre park, with its bowl-shaped sloping lawn, is home to the Celebrate Woodinville Summer Concerts in the Park and the annual Basset Bash, which have been moved to August 10 this year.
Carol Edwards Center
The Carol Edwards Center, located at 17401 133rd Avenue NE, is named after the woman many call the “Mother of Woodinville.” When she moved to Woodinville in June 1976, she started giving back to her new community instantly.
In November 1976, she created The Woodinville Weekly when she couldn’t readily find information about activities and events in the community. In 1978, she organized the first All Fool’s Day Parade. Then, in 1993 Edwards founded the Woodinville Community Band after placing a call for musicians in her newspaper, even though she herself wasn’t musical.
Edwards was also instrumental in founding the farmers market and wine festival, and she helped start Teen Northshore, a nonprofit organization that supported youth activities. She was also very active in the Woodinville Chamber of Commerce.
Woodinville Parks and Recreation named the Carol Edwards Center in her honor, holding a dedication ceremony in October 2007 just before Edwards passed away at age 65. Like Jerry Wilmot, Edwards also died from complications related to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Edwards’ daughter, Julie Boselly, is now The Woodinville Weekly’s publisher.
The Northshore YMCA and Northshore Senior Center use the Carol Edwards Center for recreation and activity programs available to the community throughout the year.
The DeYoung House & DeYoung Park
The DeYoung House was the home of early Woodinville residents John and Ellen DeYoung. The DeYoungs moved from Kent to Woodinville in 1925 when Mr. DeYoung bought the general store in Woodinville. He went on to run several successful businesses during his career, and their granddaughter, Lucy DeYoung, was elected the city’s first mayor.
Originally built in 1931 and located on what is now NE 175th Street, the DeYoung House was moved in 1973 to 14121 NE 171st Street where it now serves as the home of the Woodinville Heritage Museum. The Dutch Colonial home was designated a city landmark in 2010.
DeYoung Park is a small park located at 13680 NE 175th Street, across from Molbak’s. It, too, was named after the DeYoung family.
Tucked in between the tall trees on the Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery grounds is the historic Stimson Manor, now called the Manor House by the winery. The home belonged to lumber baron Frederick Stimson, who built it as a vacation home.
Frederick Stimson came from a family successful in the timber industry in the Great Lakes region. When timber started becoming a harder resource to come by in that area, Frederick and his brother, Charles, struck out for the Pacific Northwest, landing in the Seattle area in the late 1800s. They quickly built lumber mills and within a few years were very successful in this region, too.
Stimson gave the home its name of Stimson Manor and called his farm Hollywood Farm. He expanded the original 200-acre farm into a 600-acre enterprise where the winery now stands. Fascinated by Holstein cows, Stimson ran a state-of-the-art dairy farm for the era, eventually being recognized as one of the best dairy farms in the country.
He urged the area across the valley called Derby be renamed Hollywood, what we now know as Hollywood Hill, because he had just planted hundreds of holly trees along his driveway.
The Manor House is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is considered a fine example of early 20th century craftsman architecture. Today, the winery uses the home as a rental facility for smaller special events.
Ira and Susan Woodin
It all began when Ira and Susan Woodin arrived in 1871 from Seattle. Woodinville is named for the Woodins, who were the first non-Native settlers in the area.
The Woodins homesteaded on a 160-acre plot of land just north of where today’s NE Woodinville Drive is located near the intersection of Juanita-Woodinville Way NE.
Their home, which no longer exists, served through the years as the first school, church and post office as settlers continued to move into the area east of them.
Several places are named after the Woodins, including Woodin Creek and Woodin Creek Park located at 13201 NE 171st Street.