Are you prepared? Storm season is here

  • Written by City of Kenmore

Heavy winds and rainfall are common for the Pacific Northwest during this time of year.

The City of Kenmore encourages citizens to prepare for the stormy weather.

City crews work to keep storm drains clear but with over 4,000 drains in Kenmore, they could use your help.

How You Can Help

• Check storm drain grates frequently to make sure they are free of leaves and debris;

• Rake leaves away from storm drains near your house or business;

• Do not remove the grate from the storm drain opening; and

• Dispose of leaves in your yard waste container or compost bin.

With the assistance of homeowners, we can keep streets safe and clear and can reduce property damage caused by flooding. Your help is appreciated and makes a difference.

Sandbag Depots

Consider using sand and sandbags to prevent flood damage. The city has deployed sandbags at five designated locations for use during the flood season. Please notify the city prior to taking sandbags by calling (425) 398-8900. This will allow the city to track the number of sandbags used and to refill the locations. Make sure to know how to properly place the sandbags.


Near Kenmore Elementary, NE 192nd Street & 73rd Ave NE

Old Kenmore Park & Ride, 18201 68th Ave NE

Rhododendron Park, 6910 NE 170th Street

Log Boom Park, 60th Ave NE & NE 175th Street

Arrowhead Drive, 67th Ave NE & NE 155th Street

Downed Power Lines – Stay Clear, Stay Safe

Heavy wind and rainfall can cause trees to fall and result in possible power outages.

As a reminder, if you come across a downed power line, stay as far away from it as you can and call Puget Sound Energy at 1-888-225-5773. Assume it is live. Never touch a downed power line or anything near it.

In addition, do not drive over downed power lines. Should a power line fall on your car when you’re driving, stay in the car until help arrives. If a person or pet comes in contact with a power line, stay clear and call 911 immediately. Do not touch the victim or the wire.

If there’s a power outage, remember to use alternative heat sources safely and wisely. Follow manufacturers’ instructions. Adequately vent fueled space heaters (e.g., kerosene, propane, alcohol) to avoid fatal carbon monoxide gas buildup. Also, do not use outdoor grills or camp stoves indoors as they may cause carbon monoxide poisoning. To report a power outage, call Puget Sound Energy at 1-888-225-5773.


preparedness tips:

• Call 9-1-1 only for life-threatening emergencies.

• Do not walk or wade in flooded areas.

• Do not attempt to drive through standing water as your vehicle may stall.

• Watch for "Street Closed" signs. They are placed by crews for your safety.

• Listen to your radio or television for storm forecasts and other information.

• If you are caught in your building by rapidly rising waters, call 911 for help. Then move to a higher floor or to the roof. Take warm, weatherproof clothing, a flashlight, a cell phone and a portable radio.

• Check on your disaster preparedness kit to ensure it contains food, light sticks, water, flashlights, a battery-powered radio and a wind-up clock.

• Be a good neighbor. Find out if your neighbor needs any assistance with clearing storm drains or with any additional tasks.

• Read general flood information at the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

For Assistance and Info

• City of Kenmore website:

Visit the City of Kenmore website for individual and business preparedness brochures, snow and ice removal plan, and additional information. "Like Us" on Facebook, or "Follow Us" on Twitter,

• Kenmore Residents: To Report Severe Flooding

If localized flooding is severe and you are unable to clear the drain, please call Kenmore City Hall at (425) 398-8900 during business hours or after hours call (206) 296-8100.

• Kenmore Residents: To Report Hazardous Road Conditions

To report hazardous road conditions during business hours call Kenmore City Hall at (425) 398-8900 or after hours call King County Dispatch at (206) 296-8100.

• Puget Sound Energy

To report a power outage, call PSE at

• Northshore Utility District

(425) 398-4400

• Republic Services

(206) 682-9730

• Washington State Department of Transportation Road Conditions call 511

• King County Metro

(206) 287-8463

Sign up to receive King County Transit Alerts online.

• Sound Transit Rider Information


Sign up to receive Sound Transit Alerts online.

Share this post

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to Twitter