Keep your home healthy
The more than 50 million allergy and asthma sufferers in the U.S. could benefit from a home with fewer contaminants and allergens, such as dust mites, animal dander, mold, mildew, and insect debris.
The Maids cleaning service offers these suggestions:
- Change your furnace's air filter at least every six weeks. Or consider replacing your regular furnace filter with an electrostatic filter which works better at trapping smaller particles, such as animal dander. Call your local heating and cooling contractor for more information on electrostatic filters.
- If you have a humidifier, set the humidity level below 50 percent to help prevent fungus growth.
- Check your house plant soil and dried floral arrangements for signs of mold growth and dust.
- Wash stuffed toys and animals to remove dust mites and other particulate contaminants.
- Place doormats inside your entryways as well as outside your doors to reduce the amount of outside dirt that gets tracked in.
- Have your air ducts professionally cleaned every two years.
- Try leaving on a low-wattage bulb, such as a night light, to help reduce mold and mildew in dark closets and storage areas.