County prepares for winter weather
King County Roads and Engineering Division has determined its routes for snow and ice removal for the coming winter season.
The Roads Division has 49 snow removal vehicles, from sanding trucks to snowplows, positioned throughout the county, with approximately 12,000 cubic yards of sand and 210 tons of salt available for snow and ice operations.
During major storms, maintenance crews will be placed on 24-hour operations to remove snow and ice from major arterials, bus and emergency routes, and access roads to freeways and park-and- ride lots.
Although road crews have already received their snow removal route assignments, some of those forces could be shifted to different parts of the county if conditions warrant.
Motorists are advised:
- Allow ample time to reach your destination.
- Equip your vehicle with all season tires and carry tire chains.
- If you must abandon your vehicle, park it clear of traveling lanes to allow sanding trucks to pass through. Cars left in traveling lanes may be towed and impounded.
- Dress for the weather in case you become stranded and have to walk.
- Use caution when following a snowplow or sanderĐallow at least two car lengths distance.
- Caution children about the dangers of sledding on hilly streets.