Firefighters battled a blaze at a home near Woodinville High School.
by Jeff Switzer
The wood frame or combustibles near the fireplace vent caused a fire that turned half of a three-bedroom rambler into cinders.
At 7:12 p.m. on Nov. 18, the Woodinville Fire and Life Safety District responded to a call at 13144 NE 195th St. near Woodinville High School.
En route and still minutes from the fire, fire crews could see the flames and smoke of a "well-involved structure," and called for backup.
In all, 32 fire personnel were at the scene, with aid from Bothell, Kirkland and Snohomish County District 7.
The two adults and two children living at the house were not home during the blaze, but returned while firefighters battled to control the fire.
No one was injured in the fire, and investigators estimate the damages to be $75,000.
According to Woodinville Deputy Fire Chief Ed Nelson, the materials near the fireplace were repeatedly exposed to a heating and cooling process that ultimately lowered the flashpoint which started the fire. The fire then spread to the garage and the rest of the house, which is about 29 years old.
The family was put in touch with the Red Cross in the event they needed assistance finding accommodations.