Local News

Vat heater causes fire at Universal

Firefighters work to extinguish the fire at Universal Manufacturing Dec. 16.
Photo by Gary Thomaier/Woodinville Fire and Life Safety District.

fire damage by Jeff Switzer
A vat of chemicals used for dipping circuit boards was set on fire by the vat's heater at Universal Manufacturing on 144th Ave. NE, say investigators from the Woodinville Fire and Life Safety district.
   The fire broke out at approximately 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 16, just down the road from the Fire District's headquarters, making for quick response.
   There were no injuries, though the building sustained damage to its roof, plating room, and components.
   In response, the Fire District called in its Hazardous Materials unit because of the amount of acids and flammable liquids the company uses.
   Due to the dangerous nature of the chemicals, the North Bypass was shut down from 7:30 p.m. until 1 a.m.
   The building sustained much damage, as it was without automatic fire detection or sprinklers due to the code under which it was built, fire officials said.