Local News

Two escape safely from fire in Wooodinville

home fire by Jeff Switzer
A woman and her son escaped safely from a fire in their home last Wednesday night by crawling out an upstairs bedroom window and onto the roof of the garage, according to Woodinville Fire and Life Safety officials.
   The fire in the split-level home on the corner of 216th Avenue NE and NE 161st was reported at 7:30 p.m. by a Puget Power crew working in the area.
   Cause of the fire has been attributed to a short-circuited underground cable, caused by work being done in front of the home, said officials. The short circuit caused a surge which ignited the electrical outlets in the home. One of those outlets, near the Christmas tree, sparked and set fire to the living room, blocking the main exit from the house.
    The mother and son escaped onto the garage roof where they were rescued by firefighters. Neither suffered injuries.
   Firefighters arrived on the scene of the fully involved fire and had the blaze under control in about 10 minutes, said Fire Chief Jim Davis. "They did an excellent job of fighting the fire at the area of origin," Davis said.
   Officials estimate $200,000 in damage to the home. The Red Cross rendered assistance to the family due to the extensive smoke damage to the house.