Opinion

Safety concern over store display

safety concern On a recent visit to a store in Woodinville, my 19-month-old baby tripped and fell. He poked his right eye on a metal peg that the store uses to hang its merchandise. Another customer jumped right in and took us immediately to the Urgent Care Center.
   After three traumatizing visits to see a doctor, my son's eye is healing well. He was extremely lucky that the peg didn't hit the color part of his eye or that no deep punctures were made. He had what a specialist called a "road burn" on the white of his eye.
   I am writing this letter in the hopes that these stores consider future customers of all ages and change their method of product display. The way in which the pegs are designed leaves a rough-cut edge, enhancing any injuries caused by them. A better method is used at a nearby store, where a long peg that has been curved to create a 1-inch-wide loop is used. The addition of a shield or cover over the pegs would help considerably.
   Deep thanks to Stephanie Code and her two daughters who, without hesitation, drove us to the Urgent Care Center.

Teel Varland and family, Woodinville