The week in Northshore prep sports
Bothell and Woodinville have winning weekend
Call us with your Prep Sports scores Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5
p.m., at (206) 483-0606; e-mail by clicking here; or fax us 24 hours a day at (206) 486-7593.
Cougars win Sea-King
Bothell Cougars fastpitch softball team won the Sea-King title Friday, beating Inglemoor 1-0 and shutting out Woodinville 4-0 in the championship game.
Falcons win state berth
Woodinville Falcons Soccer team beat Roosevelt 3-2, capturing a berth in the state Class AAA tournament.
Woodinville Falcons Baseball team was knocked out of Sea-King with a 4-1 loss to Roosevelt.
Girls Kingco track and field
In Kingco girls track action, Sarah Axley placed first in the 100 and 200 for the Cougars, and Nicole Willis (Ing.) and Nikki Gerken (Wood.) placed in both the 100 and 300 hurdles.
May 9: WOODINVILLE fell to Newport, 6-1.
Girls Fastpitch Softball
May 6: INGLEMOOR beat Redmond, 11-5. WOODINVILLE stomped Lake Washington, 7-3.
May 8: Moni Hashigushi had a double for the Cougs as BOTHELL rolled over WOODINVILLE 3-1.
May 9: In the Kingco Tourney, INGLEMOOR (18-2) toppled Juanita 7-3; WOODINVILLE (16-4) stymied Issaquah 1-0, and blistered Roosevelt 26-0; BOTHELL (17-3) edged Interlake 1-0.
May 7: Behind Brett Lasby's hat trick, WOODINVILLE smashed Sammamish 5-2 in round one of the district playoffs. Viking Charlie Hensel scored the game-winner in the second overtime as INGLEMOOR, down two players (Jason Etscheid with a broken jaw and Jon Pilz ejected for unruly play), overcame BOTHELL 1-0 in the first round of the Kingco playoffs.
May 9: WOODINVILLE forced INGLEMOOR out of the playoffs with a 3-1 win. Ryan Velo-Simpson scored two of the three, one unassisted and one on a feed from Kurt Ahlstrand.
May 6: BOTHELL defeated Interlake, 6-3. Cougar winners were Xenia DeLeon, Brianne Philips, Angela Smith, Katie Hopwood in singles; DeLeon-Philips and Allison Craft-Annie Peterson in doubles.
May 8: In the Kingco Championships, wins in first round singles included Marisa Morgan (Ing.), Brianne Philips (Both.), Xenia DeLeon (Both.), and Lisa Grekowicz (Ing.). Morgan and Grekowicz stayed alive in second round singles, but fell in the third round. First round doubles winners were Angela Smith-Jessica Moore (Both.), Kirsi Longley-Pooja Khandekar (Ing.); both pairs fell in the 2nd round.
Boys track and field
May 8: In the Kingco Championship prelims, Woodinville, Bothell, and Inglemoor boys placed in the following:
- Javelin: Dan Uffens (2nd, WHS); Ryan Bottjer (3rd, BHS); Casey Ford (8th, WHS).
- Pole vault: Mike Bautista (5th, WHS).
- 1600: Jason Fryberg (1st, BHS), Kumar Narayanan (6th, IHS), Efrem Kidane (8th, IHS).
- 100: Garrett Kelly (6th, WHS).
- 400: Jeff Cady (3rd, WHS), Ian Veatch (6th, IHS), Jacob Timm (7th, WHS), Brandon Roche (8th, WHS).
- 800: Shawn Murphy (1st, WHS), Rusty Dodge (2nd, WHS), Jason Dougherty (3rd, BHS), Ben Meyers (4th, WHS).
- 110H: Justin Phillips (2nd, BHS), Sam Eastman (3rd, BHS), Tony Iverson (4th, BHS), Christian Niccum (7th, WHS).
- 300H: Sam Eastman (3rd, BHS).
Girls track and field
May 8: In the Kingco Championship prelims, Woodinville, Bothell, and Inglemoor girls placed in the following:
- Discus: Jessie Hobbs (6th, IHS).
- High Jump: Amy Lewis (4th, IHS), Janelle Nagel (tie for 6th, WHS).
- 3200: Krissi Mathers (3rd, WHS).
- 100: Sarah Axley (1st, BHS).
- 200: Sarah Axley (1st, BHS), Nicole Willis (6th, IHS).
- 400: Anne Brawn (3rd, WHS).
- 800: Dana Hughes (2nd, WHS), Becky Weinz (7th, WHS), Kate Whettam (tie for 8th, IHS).
- 100H: Nicole Willis (1st, IHS), Nikki Gerken (8th, WHS).
- 300H: Nikki Gerken (2nd, WHS), Nicole Willis (3rd, IHS).