Fire crews respond
On Aug. 5, Woodinville fire crews responded to an early-morning automatic residential fire alarm in the 16300 block of 126th Avenue N.E. in the Kingsgate area of Woodinville. Upon arrival, crews found an unoccupied structure fully charged with smoke and called for backup from Kirkland and Bothell.
Power had been out in the area since 5:30 a.m. Protected by a "monitored" smoke detection system, the automatic alarm did not sound until power was restored at 7:30 a.m.
Officials determined that the fire started in the electrical system of a stereo or VCR in the corner. They believe the fire smoldered for an extended period of time, allowing a great deal of heat and smoke to build up, which caused extensive damage to the interior.
Damage estimates approach $100,000, though no significant structural damage resulted.