The Edwards Agency

Local News

Garage fire causes $15,000 damage

garage fire

Firefighters work to put out a fire on Hollywood hill last week. Above, Firefighter Robertson wets the area around a vent cut by firefighters to allow the super-heated air, smoke, and steam to escape from the structure.
Photo by Jeff Switzer/Woodinville Weekly.

garage fire by Jeff Switzer
Rags hung out to dry after staining the family's deck were the cause of a fire in the detached garage in the 15300 block of 164th Ave. NE, causing $15,000 in damage and no injuries.
   The Woodinville Fire and Life Safety district responded at 6 p.m. on Aug. 26, arriving when the garage, which sits some 20 feet from the house, was well involved in flames. Fire crews had the blaze under control in about 10 minutes.
   The deck had been stained earlier that day with an organic stain containing linseed oil. The rags spontaneously combusted at some point after they were hung in the garage.
   "I'm just thankful it wasn't the house," the homeowner said.
   According to the fire department, these types of fires happen "rather frequently." Fire officials emphasize that any time a paint or stain product is used, the consumer should read all the labels on the containers regarding disposal and storage of rags, the product, and cleaning materials.