The Edwards Agency


Falcons remain undefeated

Falcon defense

Falcon defense (right) holds Redmond.
Photo by Russ Paris.

WHS football by Russ Paris
The Woodinville Falcons won 26-22 over the Redmond Mustangs in an exciting game last Friday.
   With one minute and five seconds left in the game, Woodinville was ahead by less than a touchdown, 26-22. Redmond had the ball on their 18, with 4th down and 8 to go. Cameron Fricks, Redmond QB, passed.
   It was time for the Falcons to take their level of play up one notch. Falcon LB Brian Kertson, with two men hanging on, somehow, someway found the strength to increase his vertical leap and knock down Frick's missile and win the game.
   The Falcons established their lead in the first quarter. On a perfectly executed fake to Pat Coniff (belly series), QB Marques Tuiasosopo ran to the right and as he was about to be hit, faked a pitch-out to speedster Ryan Prentice. The Redmond defensive end bought this ruse and an opening occured for the Falcon QB to ramble untouched for 80 yards for a 7-0 Woodinville lead.
   The Falcons then raced on to a 20 to 0 halftime lead. FB Pat Coniff's 1-yard run and Kurt Ahlstrand's extra point made it WHS 14, Redmond 0. Then QB Tuiasosopo threw a 13-yard TD pass to TE Barrett Hanson with less than a minute to go.
   Woodinville opened the 3rd quarter with a 49-yard sprint by Ryan Prentice, making it 26-0. The wheels almost came off the Falcon express, as Tuiasosopo left the game in the 2nd half due to a knee injury. This loss hurt Woodinville's passing game and defense against the pass, which Remond exploited and used to creep back into the game.
   Following the senior leadership, Falcon Kris Billmaier, sophomore QB, took over the reins. Twice, he scooted for 1st down to keep Falcon drives alive.
   "I was really nervous. This was my first game on the line playing time," said Billmaier.
   After giving up a 55-yard bomb from Redmond QB Cameron Fricks to Matt McDoughal, Woodinville strengthen their defense. Remond also got an emotional lift when Mustang Pat Firestone kicked a 52-yard field goal (a KINGCO record) to open the 4th quarter.
   "I'm proud of this team," said Falcon head coach Terry Agnew. "It was a very satisfying win. The first year we lost 3-0 to Redmond, and the year before, it was worse than that. It is huge for the seniors to beat these guys."
   "To come down to the final play--this is what it's all about. We left nothing on the field," said QB Tuiasosopo after the game.
   Woodinville (3-0) took its first step towards winning the Crown Division. This week they face Eastlake, the only other team to beat them last year.