The Edwards Agency

Local News

News bits

News bits


Fire damages Bothell residence

   Bothell Fire and E.M.S. responded to a residential fire at 19112 93rd Pl. NE on Dec. 14 at 1:44 a.m. Arriving units found a single family dwelling with flames visible from the residence. Fire and smoke damage were sustained throughout the structure. All occupants had evacuated, with no injuries reported.
   According to the Bothell Fire Department, cause of the fire was accidental ignition of gasoline vapors in the garage. Loss estimates to the house and contents are over $200,000.
   "Gasoline turns into invisible vapors when exposed to air and ignites easily in the presence of heat, sparks, and flames," fire officials said. If spilled on clothing, gasoline remains highly flammable even hours after the spill has dried.
   "To ensure the safety of your family and home, check to see that all gasoline is stored in an approved safety can outside the home, and use extreme caution when cleaning up any spillage which might occur."

Councilman's son recognizes emergency at City Hall

   Woodinville City Councilman Art Saulness went to the City Hall Dec. 15 at 8:30 p.m. to pick up his council packet for the regular Monday meeting.
   Accompanying him was is son, Arthur Saulness, III. The two parked in the the side parking lot, and when Saulness removed his son from his car seat, the youngster pointed to the roof.
   "Look up. Smoke," said the 2-1/2-year-old to his father. "Emergency!"
   "There was a fire truck parked there, but I wasn't alarmed. Both police and fire vehicles are often in the lot. I knew my son had just had a fire drill at preschool," the elder Saulness said. "When we went inside, I smelled soot," Saulness said.
   Accompanied by the firemen, they then went to the boiler room, where they discovered smoke.
   "The boiler was not getting enough oxygen." Saulness said. "The council has approved its replacement as part of our lease with the school district," said Saulness.

Winter driving tips

   For weather and road condition reports on Washington State's 11 high-mountain pass highways, call: 206-DOT-HIWY (368-4499) toll-free within Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area; or 1-888-SNO-INFO (1-888-766-4636).
   Snow tires are legal year-round, chains are required when signs are posted, and studded tires are legal Nov. 1- Mar. 31. Carry chains when traveling over mountain passes. Have warm clothes, flashlight, food, water, flares, blankets, and a battery-operated radio. In an emergency, stay with your vehicle and wait for help. Put your hood up and attach a light-colored cloth to your vehicle radio antenna to signal help.

Accident blocks State Route 522

   An early morning two-car injury accident Dec. 20 near the Snohomish River Bridge on State Route 522 left the road blocked in both directions for several hours, according to the Washington State Patrol.