MARCH 17, 1997
City proposes zoning changes
Proposed new zoning would change the designation of this area in the Sammamish Valley from R-12 to one that permits neighborhood business.
by Andrew Walgamott, staff reporter
City staff proposed several changes to existing zoning codes at the City Council meeting March 10, which would make Woodinville's land use regulations consistent with the city's Comprehensive Plan. Some of the changes were in terminology, while others affected whether land inside the city would be used for apartments or offices.
Included in the proposed changes were:
The proposed changes were recommended by the Planning Commission. The council will review the zoning changes. Action is not expected until the end of April, city planner Stephanie Cleveland said.
- The industrial area bordering SR-522 on the west and Woodinville-Snohomish Road on the east would become a general commercial automotive zone.
- The Sirkin property east of the conjunction of 140th Avenue NE and Woodinville-Snohomish Road would change from R-18 (residential-18 units per acre)/R-12 to R-48/office.
- The King County transfer station site south of NE North Woodinville Way and east of Woodview Plaza business park would be redesignated R-8 from R-12.
- A Mixed Use Overlay Boundary will be applied over the downtown area. This will eventually allow housing over retail, second floor apartments over businesses. The downtown area will also be renamed the Central Business District.
- In the Tourist District Overlay in the Sammamish Valley, the large open space north of the Redwood Village apartments on NE 145th Street will be rezoned from R-12 to Neighborhood Business, setting up the location for future developments.
- "Park zones" will be applied over Wilmot and Waterford Parks.
- Of five parcels in the Kyes annexation south of the Woodinville Medical Center and along 140th Place NE, three parcels will be rezoned office while the other two will remain R-6.
- R-6 would be applied to an area south of the Woodinville Duvall Road between 148th Avenue NE and 154th Avenue NE, excluding the Nelson space.