AUGUST 25, 1997
Fire damages Kenmore warehouse
NW News Staff
A fire that damaged a Kenmore play equipment warehouse early Aug. 20 was caused by the spontaneous combustion of wood stain soaked rags disposed of in an open container, according to King County Fire Investigators.
Damage to the warehouse in the 7300 block of N.E. 175th St. was estimated at $50,000, and contents inside sustained $25,000 in fire and smoke damage, according to Terri Jones, Northshore Fire Department spokesperson.
Fire units responded to reports of flames around 2:18 a.m. Wednesday morning. The fire was simultaneously discovered by a King County police officer responding to a burglar alarm activation at the facility.
Units were on scene in five minutes, battling dark smoke and flames coming from three windows of an overhead door opening into the warehouse of Rainbow Play Systems.
The blaze was under control quickly. There were no injuries reported. "The [owner] was lucky the fire was discovered so early on," Jones said, pointing towards wood and other products inside the warehouse that could have easily caught fire.
Jones cautions that rags used for wood staining, including organic oil-based products like linseed oil or tung oil, should be properly disclosed of in a metal container with a tight fitting lid.