June 22, 1998
Northshore Police Beat
Compiled by staff reporters Andrew Walgamott, Tom Traeger
- June 19: A man who took a swig out of a half-full 40-ounce bottle of malt ice beer in front of police at the Woodinville Park and Ride was arrested for possession and consumption of alcohol and resisting arrest. The suspect became confrontational after police poured out his beer, saying "This is my city and I can do what I want!" He had to be pepper-sprayed, hog-tied and handcuffed before being brought under control.
- June 16: A 35-year-old Oak Harbor man continues to have run-ins with the law in Woodinville. The man was arrested for negligent driving and operating a vehicle with a revoked license last week after police observed him driving a 1984 Ford Thunderbird erratically. On the way to King County Jail, the suspect allegedly threatened to assault the officer as well as steal from him. The man was previously arrested for burglarizing a therapy center May 31, is suspected of making threats by phone to harm a 27-year-old Woodinville man June 6 and may be responsible for smashing out all the windows of a 1986 Ford Tempo May 29.
- June 15: A robbery suspect who wished clerks "a nice day" struck Baskin - Robbins. Described as a white male in his 30s, 5' 6", 160 pounds with brown hair, the suspect made off with cash as well as $5 from the tip jar. A clerk believed it to be the same man who had robbed the store several weeks ago.
- June 14: A 19-year-old Kirkland man was arrested at QFC for third-degree shoplifting after an employee observed the man place a Dr. Pepper in his pants. A bottle of white wine was found also.
- June 4: A man claiming to be in "production," possibly video, phoned Woodinville Indoor Soccer in April asking for a boy's home phone number. Employees wouldn't give out the number, but said the boy may call the man. Later, the suspect became angry and rude over the phone when the boy didn't call.
- May 31: A closet door, closet rod and scanner were stolen from a home in the 13100 block of N.E. 194th St. The owner suspects an ex-roommate may have removed the items.
Kenmore, Finn Hill
- June 1: Car vandalism. Victim on NE 175th St. reported his convertible top was slashed and items in car taken. Estimate of damage/loss approximately $1,000.
Teacher at Carl Sandburg Elementary reported a previously suspended student threatened her when she told him she would report him for trespassing. A warning letter was served to the suspect with a possible harassment charge to follow. Reported to Juvenile Court.
- June 2: Resident on 84th Ave NE reported a sack of eggs thrown on patio. Appears to be ongoing neighborhood dispute. Incident apparently was in response to victim's earlier call to Animal Control to report neighbor's dog as nuisance.
- June 3: Twenty-two year old female cited for shoplifting at Safeway on Bothell Way. Store employee noticed unusual behavior and saw suspect place food items in pocket. Estimated value of the items was $15.
- June 4: During a domestic dispute in the 600 block of NE 182nd, the husband pulled the phone out of the wall when wife attempted to contact 911. Husband was cited for interfering with report of domestic threat. Young child who was between parents when dispute occurred was not injured.
- June 6: Police were called to a vacant lot in 800 block of Bothell Way NE and found four juveniles in makeshift tent. Investigation found drug paraphernalia, beer and wine. Parents were contacted and youth were placed in their custody with possible charges to follow.
- June 8: Two males were involved in an altercation at a construction site at the 7500 block of 182nd Ave. NE. One accused the other of shoddy work which led to pushing and shoving and eventually head-butting causing injury. The injured party reported it to police as an assault.