July 6, 1998
Woodinville Fire and Life Safety District has grown and changed over the past 50 years with a similar magnitude that our surroundings have changed. In 1947 some of the leaders in our community felt it was time for fire protection in the Woodinville area. They purchased a 1940 Ford fire truck and housed it in a remodeled chicken coop at the home of Fred Luzzani on the southeast corner of the Woodinville Duvall Road and 160 AVE. N.E. You may still see that original fire truck today; it is now owned by Ted Johns, a long time volunteer with the department. The original truck is the number one engine of the Grace Fire Department. In 1948 "King County Fire Department #36" AKA "Summit Fire Department" was created after a vote of the citizens and the signing of a resolution by the King County Commission.
In 1950, the district built its first regular fire station at 156th Ave NE and the Woodinville Duvall Road on land donated by the Hinmans. The next big station project included the addition of two fire station in 1960. Through the years the department has grown so now we operate out of five fire stations.
In 1992 King County Fire District #42 merged with King County Fire District #36 and the city of Woodinville was on the horizon so our name was changed to "Woodinville Fire and Life Safety District."
During the fifty years of our existence we have had a total of seven fire chiefs: Fred Luzzani 1948-1950, Art Nelson 1950-1973, Gary Heuslein 1973-1975, Bob Corner 1975-9182, Dave MArtin 1983-1988, Jim Davis 1988-1996, Steve Smith 1996 thru the present.
What started out as an all volunteer fire department has evolved into a full service fire department which includes; 62 career uniformed personnel, 7 administrative support personnel, and 6 part time/volunteer personnel.
The 36 square miles of our district is now covered 24 hours a day 365 days a year with: 7 engines (pumpers), 1 ladder truck, 5 aid units and 1 heavy rescue unit.
Please come and help us celebrate our first 50 years and the start of our second 50 at an open house at our headquarters fire station, 19900 144th Ave NE on Saturday, July 11th, from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.