July 13, 1998
Chicken Corn Chowder with Tomato Cheese Muffins
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of potato soup
- 1 soup can milk
- 1 soup can frozen corn with onions and peppers
- 1 soup can (1 1/4 c.) diced cooked chicken
- Crumbled bacon or salsa
In a medium saucepan, combine soup, milk, corn and chicken.
Heat and stir over medium heat until boiling. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with bacon or salsa, if desired.
- 4 English muffins, split
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 4 tsp. Dijon or sweet hot mustard
- 2 Tbsp. snipped, fresh dill or 2 tsp. dillweed
- 16 slices Roma tomatoes or small tomatoes
- 4 oz. Havarti, Jarlsberg or Swiss cheese, sliced and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch pieces
Lightly toast muffin halves, spread with softened butter, then mustard. Sprinkle with snipped dill.
Top each muffin half with two tomato slices and place two pieces of cheese crosswise over the tomatoes.
Broil just until cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm with soup.
Gourmet Vegetable Medley Pizza
- 1 12-inch pizza crust
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 oz. pizza sauce
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 4 oz. tomato and basil feta cheese
- 4 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 6 artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 6 Greek olives, sliced
- 4 oz. Italian blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 yellow pepper, cut in thin slivers
- 1/2 red pepper, cut in thin slivers
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced thin
- Optional: Fresh herbs parsley, oregano, basil and rosemary
- Coarse ground pepper
- Cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 450 F. Prepare ingredients as indicated. Brush pizza crust and rim with olive oil.
Spread sauce evenly over crust. Layer remaining ingredients in the order listed. Sprinkle fresh herbs, black and red pepper between layers of vegetables according to your taste.
Reduce oven temperature to 425 F. Place crust directly on the oven rack. Bake 8-10 minutes. Slice and serve.
Southwest Layered Tuna Salad
- 10 oz. lettuce, washed and torn
- 1 can (12 oz.) solid white tuna drained and chunked
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 8 oz. low-fat Ranch dressing
- 1 jar (16 oz.) salsa
- 6 oz. (1 1/2 c.) shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
In large bowl, layer in order: lettuce, tuna, beans, corn, and Ranch dressing. Top with salsa; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours before serving.
Classic Tuna Sandwich
- 1 (12 oz.) can solid white tuna, drained and chunked
- 1/2 c. chopped celery
- 1/4 c. light mayonnaise or plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. chopped black olives or sweet pickle relish
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
- 2 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 8 slices bread
In medium bowl, combine all ingredients except bread, mix well. Chill several hours. Divide tuna salad onto four slices of bread; top with remaining bread.
Waldorf Chicken Sandwich
- 1 can (4 1/4 oz.) chunky chicken spread
- 1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 medium apple, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. raisins
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 6 slices whole grain bread
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour. Serve on whole grain bread.
- 2 slices (1/2 oz.) pepperoni
- 2 slices (1/2 oz.) Genoa salami
- 2 slices (1/2 oz.) Hard salami
- 1/2" slice fresh tomato
- 1/2 c. shredded lettuce
- 1 Tbsp. lowfat Italian dressing
- 4" grinder roll
Layer sandwich meat on the roll. Top with tomato and lettuce. Sprinkle with dressing.
Pepperoni Pizza Sandwich
- 1 English muffin
- 3 tsp. pizza sauce
- 4 slices (1 oz.) pepperoni
- 1 oz. Mozzarella cheese
- 2 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 leaves fresh spinach
Toast the English Muffin. Spread 1 1/2 tsp. of pizza sauce on each muffin half. On bottom half of muffin, layer pepperoni, mozzarella, mushrooms, and spinach. Microwave on high for 40 seconds, or until cheese begins to melt.