October 12, 1998
The search for the great pumpkin
A traditional fall ritual is the search for the right pumpkin.
Take a country drive, enjoy the autumn foliage and celebrate the change of season with some roadside treats, or walk through a field of colorful gourds and squash.
There's nothing like wandering through a pumpkin patch to get people in the mood for the fall harvest season.
Local pumpkin growers are usually open to pickers on weekends by mid-October. Most are only open midweek by appointment for groups.
Here's a listing of local patches:
- In Woodinville, the Root Connection Pumpkin Patch offers U-pick pumpkins along with a selection of gourds,corn stalks, specialty pumpkins and farm produce. Located at 13607 Woodinville-Redmond Rd., the Root Connection is open Wed.-Sun. from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. For additional information or driving directions, call (425) 881-1006 or (425) 774-8844 (after hours).
- Bailey Vegetable, 12711 Springhetti Road, Snohomish has pumpkins along with potatoes, beets, corn, and squash.
- Baylor Farm, 28511 Ben Howard Road, Monroe features hay rides, farm animals also.
- Biringer Farm, 4625 40th Place NE, Marysville also has wagon rides, farm animals, the Boo Barn fun house and a corny maze.
- Country Pickin's Pumpkin Patch, 23804 Bothell-Everett Highway, Bothell has no fields, but does offer piles of pumpkins and a barn with scarecrows.
- Craven Farm Pumpkin Patch, 13817 Short School Road, Snohomish has a live pumpkin who serves cookies and tells stories along with a petting farm.
- Carleton Farm, 830 Sunnyside Blvd. SE, Everett has pumpkins.
- Stockers "Corn King," 9201 Old Highway 1-A (Airport Way), Snohomish also has sweet corn, beets, broccoli, carrots, peas, cauliflower, squash, milk, eggs, and honey.
- Hagen Vegetables, 8302 Marsh Road, Snohomish. offers beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, corn, cukes, dill, garlic, potatoes, winter squash, zucchini, onions, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi and free hay rides.
- Kurt's Produce, 17819 Highway 203, Monroe.
- Laura & Bob Johnson, 5211 52nd St. SE Everet has wagon rides.
- Lord Hill Farms, 12525 Old Snohomish-Monroe Road, Snohomish has farm animals, pony rides and mazes.
- Pumpkin Patch, 17503 Highway 203, Monroe.
For more information call 425-348-5802 or toll free at 888-338-0976 or visit www.snohomish.org on the web.