January 25, 1999
Drug abuse seminar for adults at Tolt Middle School
The Tolt Middle School PTSA wants parents to ask themselves the following questions:
The PTSA, in partnership with the school administration, is sponsoring the highly-acclaimed "Bong Show" to all adults in the Duvall-Carnation area. The Riverview School District, including the school board, administration, and staff; school staff, parents and teachers and their families, friends and neighbors are encouraged to attend. The free event is on Wednesday, Feb. 3, 7-9 p.m. in the Tolt Middle School Multi-Purpose Room.
- Are you concerned about the growing trend of drug and alcohol use by the youth in the community?
- How confident are you about your level of knowledge on the subject matter?
- Is your knowledge on this issue current and sufficient enough to battle against the trend, if necessary?
- Have you or someone you know been touched by the devastating consequences of alcohol or drug abuse?
The "Bong Show" is an award-winning adult educational program on alcohol and drug information. It is presented in a dynamic and entertaining style, interspersed with humorous anecdotes and incorporates the presenter's own experiences in dealing with a child using alcohol and other drugs. It offers extensive data on effectively reducing substance abuse by youth in the home, school, and community, and is personalized to each community by including pertinent facts given by the local police in the program.
The program consists of four components:
There will be free refreshments. R.S.V.P. requested from those with small children who are interested in taking advantage of free childcare. For questions and R.S.V.P.s, please contact Helen Mellor at 788-8920 or Tolt Principal Janet Gavigan at 333-4191, 788-1349, or 861-5770.
- Recognition of use of drug paraphernalia;
- Signs and symptoms;
- Identification of trends and availability through drug board display; and
- Prevention ideas for family and community.