February 8, 1999
Young artists exhibit at Reflections
Left to right: Reflections winners Alex Ostrem, Nicole Rhode, Michael Morris, Oceanna Tout, and Sean Morris.
by Teel Varland, special to the Valley View
Many young Stillwater artists exhibited their work at the recent Reflections contest. There are some very promising young people representing the school.
Reflections is more than a nationwide contest. It's a wonderful opportunity to build courage, confidence, and self-esteem. Parents and teachers play an important role in that they can encourage support and strengthen the personalities of these young artists.
The following people helped make this possible: Joel Varland, Janie Dalton, Trish Morris, Kim Rhodes, Linda Williams, Sue in the office, Pam in the copy room, Roy the maintenance man, STAT manufacturing, Steve Poulson, John Poulson, Beth Cooke, and Mrs. Lewis. Judges were Mrs. Olson, Mrs. Keefe, Don Williams, Kathlene Williams, Debbie Pilgram, and Tammy Adolfson.
This year's winners were:
Only four of the artists were allowed to go on to the State Competition. They were Nicole Rhode, Michael Morris, Alex Ostrem, and Oceanna Tout. Those who do well will continue to Nationals.
- Teacher's Choice: Sean Morris (K) and Megan Boulton (Gr. 2) in visual arts primary; Ashleigh Sanelli (Gr. 4) and Trisha Kenney (Gr. 3) in visual arts intermediate; Shephanie Millett (4) and Terran Tout (1) in literature; and Michell Haas (4) and Michael Morris (1) in photography.
- In Literature, the Honorable Mention went to Shane Matthews (4). Third place went to Stephanie Millet (4); second place to Amanda Bishop (4); first place to Sean Morris (K); and Grand Prize went to Oceanna Tout (2).
- In Photography, the Honorable Mention medallion belongs to Sean Morris (K). Third place also went to Sean Morris. Cody Chriest (1) took second place and Michael Morris (1) took first place. The Grand Prize winner was Jill Galusha.
- In Music, the much-deserved recipient of the Grand Prize was Alex Ostrem (4).
- In Visual Arts Primary (pre-K-2), the Honorable Mention went to Terek Varland (1). Third place went to Kelsey Henson (1), second place to Oceanna Tout (2), and first place to Michael Morris (1). Michael Morris also walked away with the Grand Prize trophy.
- In Visual Arts Intermediate (3-5), Honorable Mention belonged to Nicole Lyman (5). Third place went to Shannon Unger (4), second place to Caitlin Ramirez (3), Hayley Olson took first place, and Nicole Rhode was the Grand Prize recipient.