March 22, 1999
Home school 'voyagers' wanted
Riverview School District Alternative Programs Department announces the beginning of the new VOYAGER Program. This exciting program is designed for home-school students from Kindergarten through 6th grade who are not presently involved in any program in the Riverview School District. The curriculum focuses on skill boosters in mathematics, reading, and writing.
The first "voyage" will be a 3-4 week unit of study called GRAND PRIX, in which students students explore the world of automobiles, from mass production and new car design, to how fossil fuel affects our environment. They will also design a modern city, write traffic laws, and plan for future growth. Future units will include:
The VOYAGER GRAND PRIX class will meet Mondays and Wednesdays, beginning March 1, 1999, from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm, in Portable B at Carnation Elementary. Call Cindy Sage, Program Assistant for Alternative Programs, 788-6610, ext. 282.
- MAINSPRING: An exploration of physical sciences in search of laws that govern our universe.
- AZTECS, INCAS, 7 MAYAS: An exploration of three great cultures of Central and South America.
- SHOW BIZ: A behind-the-scenes look at the entertainment industry, where students participate as cinematographers, script writers, actors and actresses, directors, and editors.
- PRE-LAW: The American justice sustem comes to life through courtroom drama and mock trials.
- STINGRAY: A study of the vast oceans of our planet and their importance to our life and future.