May 17, 1999
YMCA summer camp guide
The Northshore YMCA, which provides day camp, summer enrichment programs, and residential camping experiences for kids and teens, offers parents five "camping clues" to assist in selecting a day camp or resident camping program this summer:
For more information, visit the website at www.ymca.net, or call them at 425-485-9797.
- Staff: Ask about the staff-to-child ratio. It should be low, and the lower the better.
- Staff Training: Ask whether all staff is trained annually in safety and child abuse prevention techniques.
- Accreditation: Ask if the camp is accredited by the American Camping Association.
- Safety Plan: Ask about the camp's safety preparedness plan to ensure a safety plan is in place and ready to go.
- Check the Record: Ask a prospective camp about its safety record of accidents and injuries over the past five years.