Northwest NEWS

May 31, 1999

Local News

Cigarette cause of Northshore fire

   On Sunday, May 23, Northshore Fire Department responded to the report of a structure fire in the Lakewood Villa Mobile Home Park located at 7031 NE 175th St.

   Firefighters found the middle portion of a single-wide mobile home, where an addition had been built, fully involved with flames shooting through the roof. Although there was a car in the driveway, no one at the scene identified themselves as the occupants. The fire was extinguished in approximately 20 minutes.

   Three tenants, who occupied the mobile home, were offered assistance with food, clothing, and shelter needs by the Red Cross when they returned. The King County fire investigator concluded that the fire was caused by a cigarette that had been placed improperly in a receptacle made of combustible material that was being utilized as an ashtray.

   According to fire officials, fire caused by smoking materials is one of the leading causes of residential fires. Smokers are cautioned to never leave a burning cigarette unattended and douse butts with water before discarding them, or extinguish cigarettes in a container full of sand.

   The fire department reminds residents that it is important to maintain a properly working smoke detector in homes and businesses which will provide occupants with an early warning systems and aid in escaping a fire safely.