June 28, 1999
The Sorenson site has been a primary focus of community interest since its inception. In the early 1980s, a vision for a community center on this property was drawn up in a document prepared by then-King County planner Craig Larson.
When the Woodinville All Fool's Day Parade and the Basset Bash began, it was the natural place to end the parade and hold the Bash. When the Chamber of Commerce decided to have an office in the 1980s, it was where they wanted to be. When the City of Woodinville was incorporated, it was the logical place to house the city administration. When the Woodinville Farmers' Market was formed, it was the logical site.
Through the years of visioning meetings, community group's appeals, and long discussions, it was always thought when the Northshore School District surplused this property that the Sorenson site would someday be a center for the community.
- 1883: Construction of one-room log cabin to school the local children.
- 1902: The Calkins family donated one acre of land, and the new Woodinville School was built with two rooms and an attic.
- 1908: Woodinville School burns down.
- 1909: New four-room brick school was built, where it still stands today.
- 1931: Woodinville and Cottage Lake school districts merge and Woodinville District #213 was formed.
- 1933: Woodinville built a new eight-room schoolhouse.
- 1936: With WPA assistance, the building was remodeled. Only the southwest wall of the original structure was retained.
- 1948: Four new rooms were added to the structure.
- 1959: Due to rapid growth and strained finances, Bothell and Woodinville districts were merged to form the Northshore School District #417.
- 1974: The school district added the C.O. Sorenson School facility for special needs students behind the old Woodinville School.
- 1992: Northshore School District opens Woodmoor School and relocates the special needs student programs to the new facility.
- 1993: The new City of Woodinville is formed and leases the Sorenson site as its city hall campus. The Woodinville Chamber of Commerce and City Hall are both located in The Woodinvllle School.
- 1995: The City of Woodinville acquired three acres adjacent to the Sorenson site to locate a new City Hall building.
- 1996: Upon the recommendation of a citizen task force, the City of Woodinville places a measure on a May ballot to fund the acquisition of the Sorenson site. The measure is defeated.
- 1996: In September, the City of Woodinville places a second ballot measure before the voters to acquire the Sorenson site. This time, the measure secures 53% of the vote in favor, still falling short of the necessary 60%.
- 1999: The Sorenson site, zoned for Public Institution use, remains available for acquisition.