September 6, 1999
A firefighter sprays water on what remains of Eldorado Stone Corporation's production plant.
Photo by Becky Nixon.
by Becky Nixon, contributing writer
CARNATION--In what owner John Bennett called "a case of déjà vu," Eldorado Stone suffered a second blaze in a two-month period last Friday, again four days before a major holiday.
On June 30, the Napa Auto Parts Store and a branch of the Eldorado Stone business were destroyed by a fire in the old Grange Store building on Tolt Avenue. That blaze was caused by a malfunctioning space heater in the drying room of Eldorado Stone. The company manufactures molds to make decorative building stone.
After the June fire, the company rented office space in the building on Tolt Avenue that had previously housed the offices for the Snoqualmie Tribe.
The fire last Friday was in the company's production plant located on Entwistle Street behind the QFC store. Fire units from Carnation, Duvall, Redmond, and Fall City responded to the 2:50 a.m. two-alarm blaze. Paramedics were called in to monitor the firefighters, but no injuries were reported.
John Falstrom, Deputy Chief of Operation for Eastside Fire and Rescue, said three employees at the site called firefighters to the blaze that started in the front part of the building, in what was the shipping office.
The fire spread to the back of the building, where manager Bob Smith assisted firefighters in locating latex-based material considered hazardous. The concrete area containing those chemicals was closely monitored. The wood frame of the 1941 building was consumed in the fire.
There was delay in getting water to the blaze when it was discovered the hydrant on the Entwistle corner would not produce enough water pressure. Trucks were repositioned to the QFC hydrant.
"Carnation people were very nice and helpful," said Bennett, discussing the last fire.
Bennett expressed relief that there were no injuries to any employees. "We have about 60 employees, and we intend to keep everyone working. Luckily, the dryers for the prefabricating molds were not damaged so manufacturing can continue," he said.
Fire investigators have not yet determined the cause of Friday's fire.