Northwest NEWS

September 20, 1999


Banged-up Falcons take to the air to overtake Roughriders

WHS football

Running back Zach Woodward runs to set up the fourth quarter score for WHS that tied the game.
Photo by Russ Paris.

   The WHS Falcons showed a lot of character Saturday night when they came from behind twice to defeat the Roosevelt Teddies, 34 to 27, in overtime.

   The Falcons, hampered by injuries, did not look like the #9-ranked team in the state. "The injuries seemed to hurt us more defensively," said defensive line coach Mark Leander.

   Woodinville's dominance of the Metro schools was in jeopardy as Roosevelt scored two quick first quarter TDs by pounding it up the center of the Woodinville line. The Falcons were not at their best, missing the heart of their defensive line. Ben Tomco was not at full strength, and seniors Kiel Pidgeon and Joaquin Rodriguez were both out with broken hands.

   Roosevelt capitalized on this and went to a 14-point lead. The Falcons finally got going at the 7-minute mark of the first period when junior quarterback Jacob Stern ran 40 yards for a touchdown. Matt Phillip's extra-point kick was good to make it 14 to 7 at the end of the 1st period.

   The Teddies' defense keyed on Woodinville's Zach Tuiasosopo, holding him to just 17 (of his 130 total yards) in the first half. "Because of this, we had to go the the air to give us more offensive options," said head coach Terry Agnew.

   It was Coach Agnew's son, Kevin, who started the air attack (9 passes for 93 yards) by tossing a 38-yard bomb to Blake McIntosh. The extra point attempt was blocked, and the Falcons trailed by one.

   The Riders came right back with their own TD pass to Leland Savage from David Myers. The Falcans blocked the extra point attempt, but trailed 13-20 at the half.

   At the opening of the second half, Alex Bobinger ran the kickoff back 50 yards to midfield. Then runs by Stern and Tuiasosopo moved it to the 40-yard line. The Teddies gambled correctly by stacking the line against the run and denied the Falcons a score. The swing in momentum produced the Teddies' next score, and the Falcons found themselves behind 27-13 going into the fourth quarter.

   "Our kids could have quit right then. That 81-yard pass play took a lot out of us. But we didn't, and I'm proud of the way they played with all the injuries. They showed a lot of character," said Mark Leander, assistant coach.

   The WHS comeback started with Zach Woodward's 20-yard run to the Roosevelt 31. Then Tuiasosopo, on his best run of the night, scooted 31 yards down the left sideline for the score.

   The Falcon defense then stopped the Riders, and the momentum swung back to Woodinville when the offense responded with just 6 minutes to go in the game. Sophomore QB Kevin Agnew ran for 8 yards and threw a 50-yard TD pass to Woodward that was called back on a holding penalty.

   Following a hard hit to Agnew, Jacob Stern came in and passed 20 yards to Woodward, followed by a Tuiasosopo run to the 27. Stern then threw a 15-yard touchdown pass to a leading Sterling Brown, which tied the score at 27 at the end of regulation.

   The high school tie-breaker system lets each team try to score from their opponents' 25-yard line. On the WHS attempt, Josh Stern ran it in from the 10; the attempt by Roosevelt was stopped to give WHS its second victory.

   "We had to play a lot of young people tonight, including our two quarterbacks. They showed off their arms," Agnew said. "I plan on playing both of them all year. Their different styles and passing give us more offensive options. We also want to acknowledge sophomore Eric Fergen, who played four defensive positions during the game to fill in for injured players."

   Woodinville's offense racked up 322 yards rushing and 93 yards passing for 415 total yards to Roosevelt's 217 yards.

   Woodinville next plays Juanita on Friday night.

   In other Northshore action, Bothell lost to Juanita, 21-14, and Inglemoor was victorious over Eastlake, 38-3.