October 4, 1999
Around the Valley
Prayer vigils promote tolerance
Two prayer vigils are planned for the coming weeks in the Valley to promote tolerance and combat hate. One will be in Snoqualmie on Oct. 7; the other in Carnation on Nov. 1. Both will be part of larger efforts in King County and beyond. The Oct. 7 vigil, hosted by Snoqualmie United Methodist Church, 38701 River St., will begin at 6:30 p.m. The Nov. 7 vigil, hosted by Tolt Congregational United Church of Christ in Carnation, will begin at 7 p.m. The public is welcome.
Free family math workshop
Looking for ideas on how to make math fun? Parents and their first through third grade children will learn how to have a good time with math at a free workshop held Wednesday, Oct. 13, at Cherry Valley Elementary Learning Resource Center from 6:30-8 p.m. Families will play games and share ideas they can use to help their children improve math skills. To sign up, call Eastside Literacy at 844-2459.
There will be a metting of the Riverview Educational Foundation (REF) on Monday, Oct. 11, at 8 p.m. at the Carnation Elementary Staff Lounge: 425-788-4274.
'Isaac' at Pumps & Grinds
"Isaac" is an excellent guitarist with a beautiful voice, and this talented singer/songwriter plays this Saturday, Oct. 9, at 7:30 p.m. at Pumps & Grinds. No cover. Pumps & Grinds is located in Duvall next to Bank of America (formerly Seafirst Bank). Call 425-844-2766.
Valley Providers meets
Valley Providers will meet on Oct. 12, noon-1 p.m., at the Colonial Inn, Preston-Fall City Rd., Fall City; 222-5191. Barbara Elliott will speak on her trip to Romania.
Friends of Youth classes
- Encouragement for Parents of Teens: A free 6-week parenting class on Tuesdays, Oct. 12-Nov. 16, 7-9 p.m. in the Snoqualmie office. Call 425-392-6367.
- Effective Parenting of 6-12-Year-Olds: A free 6-week series of classes that meets Mondays, Oct. 11-Nov. 15, 7-9 p.m. in Duvall. Call 392-6367 to register.
- Become a Mentor: Make a difference in a child's life. Many youth in the Snoqualmie Valley are lacking positive adult role models. If you can give just 2 hours a week to help a middle school youth succeed, call Lorry Kaye for more information at 425-788-6716.
Events at Valley General Hospital in Monroe
To register for any of the above classes, call Community Relations at 360-794-1411. The hospital is located at 14701 - 179th SE, Monroe.
- Star Sitters, a babysitting class for boys and girls ages 11-14, on Saturday, Oct. 9, 9-3 at the Snohomish Fire Hall, 1525 Ave. D in Snohomish. Fee, $25.
- Diabetes support group will meet Monday, Oct. 11, at 7:30 a.m. in the Godard Room.
- Infant massage, Tuesday, Oct. 12, from 7-8:30 p.m. Fee, $15.
- Newcomers breakfast on Saturday, Oct. 9, at 9 a.m. in the Trax Edge Cafe.
- Childbirth preparation: 8 weeks, Thursday evenings, Oct. 14-Dec. 9 from 7-9 p.m. Fee, $70.
- First aid/CPR, Saturday, Oct. 16, 8-4. Fee, $45.
- Infant/Child CPR on Monday, Oct. 18, from 6-9 p.m. Fee, $10.