January 24, 2000
CALENDAR ANNOUNCEMENT DEADLINE IS 12 NOON THURSDAY.
- Sno-Isle Genealogical Society, Feb. 2, 7:30pm, Martha Lake Community Club: 425-438-0307.
- Woodinville Lions Club, Jan. 28, 12:30pm, 19008 168th NE: 483-2693.
- Clover Leaf Rebekah Lodge, Jan. 29, 8-11am, 10116 WE 185th Bothell: 488-8457 or 483-0236.
- Bothell City Council, Mondays, 7pm, City Hall: 425-486-3256.
- Carnation City Council, 1st and 3rd Tuesdays, City Hall: 425-333-4192.
- Duvall Chamber of Commerce, 1st Tuesday, 11:45am, Fire Hall: 425-788-8384.
- Duvall City Council, 2nd and 4th Thursdays, 7pm, Library Rose Room: 425-788-8384.
- Kenmore City Council, Mondays, 7pm, Northshore Utility District Headquarters: 425-398-8900.
- Woodinville City Council, Mondays, 7pm, Sorenson School: 425-489-2700.
- Kiwanis Club of Woodinville, Thursdays, 11:30am-12:30pm, Woodinville Round Table: 425-481-6959.
- Northshore Kiwanis, Wednesdays, 7-8am, Alexa's Restaurant on Main St., Bothell: 425-486-4966.
- Kids' Day 2000, A New Year's celebration, Jan. 29, 11:30am-5:30pm, free/13 and under, The Seattle Center House: 206-650-5364.
- Wind of a Thousand Tales, Village Theatre's Kidstage Company's first production, Feb. 4-6, Everett Performing Arts Center: 425-257-8600.
CLASSES, SEMINARS, WORKSHOPS
- Up in the Sky, Feb. 1-29, 11am, Saturdays and Sundays, Pacific Science Center: 206-443-2001.
- Fantasia 2000, IMAX Theatre, through April 30, 10:30am, 12:30pm, 2:30pm, 4:30pm, 6:30pm, 8:30pm, Pacific Science Center: 206-443-2001.
- Everett Rock and Gem Club, 47th Annual Gem & Jewelry Show, Jan. 29, 10am-6pm, Jan. 30, 10am-5pm, Washington National Guard Armory: 425-338-2184.
- Scary Fishes from Deep Time, Seattle's Burke Museum Exhibit, through Jan. 30, 10am-5pm, $5.50/general $4/seniors, The Burke Museum: 206-543-5590.
- 18th Annual Bellevue Home Show, Jan. 27-30, 10am, Meydenbauer Center: 425-637-1020.
- Antique Doll and Toy Mart, Jan. 30, 11am-4pm, seniors/$4.25 General/4.75, Bellevue Inn, Best Western: 425-453-9822.
- 2000 GMC Tacoma Home and Garden Show, Jan. 26-30, Tacoma Dome: 253-756-2121.
- Washington Dance Club, Monday night singles dance, $6, 1017 Stewart Street, Corner of Stewart and Boren: 206-628-8939.
SPORTS & RECREATION
- Living Trust, Eastside Legal Assistance Program, Jan. 26, 9:30-11am, Northshore Senior Center: 425-747-7274.
- What Every New Dad Should Know, Jan. 31, 7-8:30pm, $5, Valley General Hospital: 360-794-1411.
- Living Trust, Jan. 26, 9:30-11am, Northshore Senior Center: 425-747-7274.
- SCORE, Councelors to America's Small Business, 8am-4pm, $55, SBA/SCORE Business Enterprise Center: 206-553-7320 or 1-877-SEA-SCORE.
- Bothell Sons of Norway is offering Norwegian lanquage classes at all levels. For Further information: 425-485-7595.
- ACT assesment test, Feb. 12, $22, registration postmark deadline is Jan. 7, www.act.org.
- Section 529: Qualified State Tuition Programs: How to invest for a Child's College Education: 425-462-2665 or 800-876-0503.
- Wilderness Awareness School, Mondays, 7-9pm, Stone House Bookstore: 425-788-1301.
- A training for individuals interested in volunteering in Washington State University Cooperative Extension's Money Management Church: 206-205-5158.
- Learning and Sharing for Today's Caregivers, Everett Community College Parks Student Union Bldg.: 425-388-7377.
- Northshore Senior Center, Flagger Training: 206-546-4562.
- Bellevue Community College Annual Spring Training Baseball Camps begin in February: Specialized Skill sessions for ages 9-18. $50: 425-641-2356.
- Experience the challenge of rock climbing, Level 1 Intro-climbing Wednesday, 6-8pm, Saturday 10am-12pm, youth climbing series, Wednesday, 4-5:30,$40-$70, Redmond Vertical World Indoor Rock Climbing Gym: 425-881-8826.
- Elite girls basketball program looking for players, grades 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th are welcome, Bill Newton: 425-259-7282.
- AAU Washington Girls Basketball 11th Annual Winter League, through March 11: 425-670-8877.
- Bellevue Community College Spring Training Baseball Camps, Feb. $50, Ages 9-18: 425-641-2356.
- Baseball Hitting Acedemy, Don Long, Phillies minor league hitting coordinator, reservations required, December, 206-953-9602.
- Dances from the heart, Cameo/Carrabba Dance Theatre, Feb. 6, 2pm, 5pm, $13, Shorecrest Performing Arts Center: 206-528-8183.
- Northwest Chamber Orchestra, Jan. 30, 2:30pm, $12.50, Seattle Asian Art Museum Auditorium: 425-893-9900.
- Lake Union Civic Orchestra's Winter 2000 Concert, Jan. 29, 7:30pm, Town Hall Seattle.
- Lara St. John violenist, with guest conductor Alastair Willis, Jan. 27, Benaroya Hall: 206-215-4747 or 206-215-4784.
- The Frode Gjerstad Trio, Jan. 27, $8/Earshot Jazz members $10/general, OK Hotel: 206-547-6763.
- The Golden Ear Awards, Seattle Jazz Awards, Jan. 31, 7pm, $10, Dimitriou's Jazz Alley: 206-547-6763 or 206-441-9729.
- Ball Frisell and Dale Burning, Jan. 22, 8pm, $12/general $10.Earshot Jazz members, Poncho Concert Hall, Cornish College of the Arts: 206-547-6763.
- The Art of Basketry, through Feb. 10, 5-8pm, Everett Center for the Arts: 425-257-8380.
- Steel Magnolias, Feb. 4-19, Fri and Sat 8pm, Sun 2pm, Redmond Sr. Center: 206-525-3493.
- The Edmonds Driftwood Players, Feb. 4-5, Thurs-Sat 8pm, Sun. 2pm, 950 Main Street, Edmonds: 425-774-9600.
- Stop Kiss, Off-Broadway hit, Jan. 31- March 4, Seattle Repertory Theatre: 206-443-2229.
- The Flying Karamazov Brothers, through Jan. 30, ACT's Fall Theatre: 206-292-7676.
- "Murder in Swingtime," Saturday Evenings, Club Broadway Downtown Everett: 1-877-WED-KILL.
- The Edmonds Driftwood Players, Feb. 5, 10am-5pm, Feb. 6, 6-10pm, 950 Main Streeet Edmonds, Wade James Theatre: 425-774-9600.
- Auditions for "Rock the House," call Dale: 206-367-9000.
- The Sammamish Symphony Orchestra announces openings for performers on violin, viola, cello, and string bass: 425-392-3624.
- Smoking Cessation Class, Feb. 1-22, 7-8:30pm, $45/per family, Valley General Hospital: 360-794-1411.
- Transitions, Cancer & Chronic disease awareness group of Valley General Hospital, Feb. 1, 6:30pm, Valley General Hospital: 360-794-1411.
- Cancer Support Group, First Tuesday every month, 6:30pm, Valley General Hospital's Library: 360-794-1411.
- Workshop on improving marital satisfaction after the baby arrives, looking for 50 expectant couples in Seattle metropolitan area: 206-543-4195.
- Alzheimer's Association helps you care for someone with Alzheimer's, 206-363-5500 or 1-800-848-7097.
- UW and Harborview Medical Center, national study to determine whether the antibiotic azithromycin decreases the risk of future heart attack or other heart disease complications. You are eligible for screening iif you have had one or more heart attacks, bypass surgury, baloon angioplasty, stent placement, or cardiac catheterization that showed significant blockage of coronary arteries: 206-731-4385.
- People with Type 2 diabetes sought for study: 206-685-6720.
- Earn $130 if you are a man ages 18-69, needed for study sponsored by the UW Department of Epidemiology. It lasts 14 months. Blood is drawn for analysis of vitamin levels: 206-616-1569 NE8th street in Bellvue: .
- UW Alzheimer's Disease Research Center looking for healthy people age 55+ with early memory loss to participate in drug studies: 206-764-2069.
- Radiant Hope Depression Support Group, Mondays, 7-8:30pm, Overlake Hospital: 425-869-5433.
- Cancer Support Group, Tuesdays, 7-9pm, Northwest Oncology Center: 425-869-5433.
- Northshore Chamber of Commerce, learn ins and outs of making a business run, office management, and event planning, Jessica Roberts: 425-486-1245.
- The Crisis Clinic of Seattle/King County is recruiting volunteers to answer the 24-hour crisis phone line: 206-461-3210.
- The American Cancer Society looking for volunteers for Relay for Life, Puget Sound Area: 1-800-729-5588.
- Assist world travelers and locals by providing information and direction to areas in Snohomish County and the Northwest, locations in Everett, Marysville, Snohomish, and Boeing Tour Center: 425-338-4437.
- Reach for the stars, volunteer chore services "Bringing Community Home," need people to do minor home repairs, yard work, shopping, transportation, laundry, meal preparation, housekeeping: 425-562-6864.
- City of Kirkland needs volunteers to assist in fire safety and injury prevention; Eileen Trentman: 425-803-1902.
- Senior Services Volunteer Transportation Programs needs drivers to transport elderly living in Northeast King County: 206-448-5740, 1-800-282-5815.
- Help care for injured or orphaned wildlife at the PAWS Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Lynwood, weekly commitment for 3 months: 425-787-2500, ext.808.
- MDA summer camp needs volunteers to help at camp that that gives children with neuromuscular disease a chance to participate in a variety of activities, 16yrs. old and willing to make a friend: 253-627-7575.
- Many people with Multiple Sclerosis derive great benefits and symptom relief from low-impact water exercise, consider helping someone with MS to enjoy the benefits of hydrotherapy, 1-3hours per week: 206-633-2606.
- Senior Citizens and adults with disabilities are in need of your assistance to remain independent in their own home, volunteer a couple of hours to drive, clean or help with yard work, Volunteer Chore Services: 206-324-5247.
- Attention Future Business Leaders, become a volunteer at Northshore Chamber of Commerce: 425-486-1245.
- Help contact new and existing donors, volunteers needed 9-11:30a.m. each weekday: 425-462-4392.
- Blood Center needs volunteers to register donors and to monitor donors when they're giving blood: 1-800-266-4033.
- Volunteer to help seniors and disabled people in Snohomish County, Volunteer Chores Service: 425-257-2111.
- Teen Northshore, Sue Paro, director, information: 206-344-6417.
- Family Services offers Children Grieve Too, for ages 5-18 who have lost a close relative through death: 425-226-1253.
- Phone Friend, support for teens, 3-6pm, Monday-Friday: 1-800-543-8255 (1-800-KID-TALK).
- Al-Anon-Anger Managment exploratory-info meeting, Thursday nights, 7pm, Edgewood Apartments Community Room: 425-482-6998.
- Pathways for Women YWCA, offering counseling services: 774-9843, ext. 226, or 339-3837.