Northwest NEWS

January 31, 2000


Falcons whack Eastlake Wolves; jumped by Lake Washington Kangs

by Russ Paris

   The Woodinville High School Falcons came out flying last Tuesday night at full speed to soar past the Eastlake Wolves to a 14-5 lead at the end of the first quarter. The catalyst for the Falcons was senior Sterling Brown, who scored 11 of Woodinville's second period points. At the half, WHS had flown away with a 29-13 lead.

   The senior-dominated line up of Brown, Bijan Ghassemieh, Dan Howard, Zach Tuiasosopo, and Peter Anderson played with a precision that took advantage of the Wolf-Pup's inexperience, turning the game into a rout.

   The Wolves failed to stop Woodinville's drives to the basket, committing twice as many fouls as the Falcons. The game ended in a 67-35 convincing win for the Falcons. The Birds returned home Friday night, flying high from their 28-point win, to take on the Lake Washington Kangaroos, who they beat earlier in the month.

   This game started with LW's Brian Morrison hitting the opening shot, a three-point beauty. Woodinville's Sterling Brown answered with his shot from three-point range. The game looked as if it would be an offensive shootout between two of KingCo's top scorers, Brown and Morrison.

   The Falcons' Bijan Ghassemieh did a great job defensively on Morrison, and the Falcons used Brown as a first quarter decoy. The first quarter ended in a ten-point tie.

   The second period began with Morrison stealing the ball and going in for a dunk. The play showcased why the University of North Carolina has offered him a full scholarship next year.

   The Kang's strategy was to allow WHS's Brown to get the ball outside. But when he drove to the hoop, he was pounded by Kangaoo bodies. The Falcons fell behind by eight points early in the second period. Good shooting at the charity line brought them back to within three, 23-26 at the half.

   The fourth period started with WHS's Brown hitting a three-point shot and getting fouled, which turned into a six-point play after a technical call on LW. Down by just six points, the Falcons appeared to be making a challenge with 6:24 left in the game.

   But in the next four minutes, Morrison showed why he is a top division college recruit. His quick first step, coupled with his jumping ability, dominated the game. As a result, the Kangs opened up a 20-point lead, and the game stayed that way to the end with a 63-43 win for LWHS.

   Morrison scored 25 points. The Falcon's Brown was WHS high-point man with 14.