February 21, 2000
Free tax assistance available
The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), with the Internal Revenue Service, is offering free tax preparation assistance to individuals and families of low to moderate incomes, with special attention to those aged 60 or older using Form 1040 tax returns through April 17.
Tax preparers are available by appointment at the Bothell Regional Library, 18215-98th Ave. NE, on Fridays and Saturdays. Appointments can be made by calling the Northshore Senior Center at 486-4564 between 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Tax preparation hours at the Library on Fridays are from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. and from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on Saturdays. Walk-ins will be taken as time allows. Please do not call the library to schedule an appointment.
Additionally, on Mondays between 3:30 p.m.-8 p.m. at the Bothell Library, a Tax-Aide is available to assist walk-in taxpayers on a first-come, first-served basis. And between 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. on most Mondays at the library, an AARP Tax-Aide is available to assist taxpayers who are filing electronically.
AARP tax prepartion assistance is also available at the Woodinville Library, 17105 Avondale Road NE, on Thursdays between 1-4 p.m. Call the Library at 788-0733 for additional information.
Taxpayers are reminded to bring the following documents with them:
Toll-free number: 1-888-227-7669. Website address: www.aarp.org/taxaide/.
- current year's tax forms and prepartion booklet;
- copy of last year's income tax return(s) and supporting documentation;
- W-2 and W-2p forms from each employer, if you earned a salary;
- unemployment compensation statements;
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits;
- all 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-MISC, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends and original purchase price of sold assests;
- 1099R form from the payer of your pension or annuity;
- all forms indicating federal income tax paid;
- child care providers information (name, employer ID, Social Security number);
- all receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions; and
- Social Security numbers for all dependents.