Northwest NEWS

February 28, 2000


WHS boys' basketball season ends

WHS basketball

Head coach Steve Johnson (center) has led the Falcons to a winning season in Kingco play.
Photo by Russ Paris.

by Russ Paris

   Woodinville High School's boys' basketball team drew the unfortunate assignment of opening against Garfield High School, the state's #1 team, in the Kingco 4A tournament.

   The Falcons stayed close in the first period, and the score was 10-10 with just 3:09 left when the the Bulldogs went on a tear, pulling to a 36-19 lead at the half.

   Garfield came out in the second half as if they didn't have a care in the world. They did showtime two-handed dunks and behind-the-back passes to take an eighteen-point lead, 54-36. Any time Brown, Tuiasosopo, or Dayne Mackelson scored, Garfield's Ed Roy or Roy Smalley countered with a basket. The Falcons played hard, but the Buldogs were at the top of their game.

   Sterling Brown led the Falcons with 13 points, 7.2 points below his league-leading average of 20.2 points per game.

   Turnovers proved to be the Falcon's nemesis. They had 12, mostly caused by the relentless Bulldog defense.

   Following the 42-47 loss to Garfield, the Falcons moved into a Friday night consolation loser-out game against Inglemoor. WHS came out full of fight and vigor, building an 18-10 lead over their cross-district rival.

   Tuaisosopo was driving hard and passing off for open shots, and Sterling Brown blocked opponents' shots by jumping higher than the arc they put on the ball. Dayne Mickelson and Dan Howard clogged the lane. Offensively, Brown broke loose for 16 first-half points and a 30-21 halftime lead.

   The third quarter began with Mickelson taking control down deep in the paint to put the Falcons up by 13, 36-23. At that point, the Vikings switched defensively with Tony Dellino shadowing Brown and shutting down his scoring in the second half. Without Brown's point production, the Falcons succumbed to a Viking rally, and with just 3:12 left in the game, the score was tied, 38-38.

   With just 48 seconds left, Steve Trester stole the ball and layed it in for the Vikings' first lead of the game. On the inbounds pass, Woodinville was called for a five-second violation. The Falcons, down by two with time running out, had to foul to get the ball back. Free throws by Inglemoor's Brian Carlson and Jared Morrell secured the victory at 46-42.

   The Falcon season ended at 12-10, while Inglemoor continues in the playoffs against Bothell, Wed., March 1, at Inglemoor.