May 1, 2000
Humanitarian winners named
Two students from each elementary, junior high, and high school in Northshore will be recognized with C.P. Johnson Humanitarian Awards.
The recipients are students who best exemplify humanitarian qualities in their school and/or community. Their fellow students and members of the school faculty select the recipients.
The recognition will take place at the Northshore School Board meeting, May 9 at 5 p.m., in the W.A. Anderson cafeteria in Bothell. Families, friends, and the public are welcome to attend.
The school district promotes the concept of humanitarianism among its students through these annual awards established in 1988 in memory of Clifford Paul Johnson. He was a longtime resident of Bothell and served as coordinator of minority studies for the Northshore schools until his retirement in 1973.
"C.P. advocated racial and ethic tolerance and promoted positive human relations," said his widow, Dorothy Johnson of Bothell. "He based his judgement of people on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin."
The plaques awarded each year are furnished by the Northshore School Board from the proceeds of a $2,500 award received in 1987 when the board was selected as the first recipient of the Washington State Award for Excellence in Education.
Humanitarian award recipients are:
- Arrowhead: Laurel Wells, David McNicoll.
- Bear Creek: Tara Spain, Joy Severin.
- Canyon Creek: Lauryn Ernster, Sarah Hanika.
- Cottage Lake: Samantha Herzog, Russell Croy.
- Crystal Springs: Amanda Guarascio, Matthew Marriott.
- East Ridge: Jenna Melanson, Tyler Thomason.
- Fernwood: Kendra Hughbanks, Joel Cortez.
- Frank Love: Ella Mahler, Casey McBride.
- Hollywood Hill: Ashley Wick, David Trujillo.
- Kenmore: Christina Liang, Shanell Borromeo.
- Kokanee: David Yushchuk, Bennett Moriarty.
- Lockwood: Caitlin Adkins, Tyler Schexnayder.
- Maywood Hills: Lauren Pelton, Lane Koch-Michael.
- Moorlands: Rosemary Potts, Zachary Cooper.
- Shelton View: Jackie Kirsch, Brian Lohr.
- Sunrise: Doug Cherry, Paul Argites.
- Wellington: Jessica Wolf, Megan Lombard.
- Westhill: Ellen Fissel, Karlie Bannister.
- Woodin: Brittny Hamill, Rudy Ruiz.
- Woodmoor: Kathleen Kiefer, Tyler Lawson.
- C.O. Sorenson: Christian Guzman, Evan Seitz.
- Canyon Park JH: Amanda Wallulis, Kara Johnson.
- Kenmore JH: Sarah Lackie.
- Leota JH: Alana Celia, Jeremy Goodman.
- Northshore JH: Megan Bannister, Andrea Hartford.
- Skyview JH: Rebecca Christian, Bryan McNeilly.
- Timbercrest JH: Margaret Frazier, Mitchell Johnson.
- Bothell High: Ruth Olson, Justin Potts.
- Inglemoor High: Jennifer Ugale, Jeffrey Boschler.
- WAA Anderson/SAS: Kylee Olson, Kiani Pineiro-Hall.
- Woodinville High: Valerie Poe, Allison Dawe.