Northwest NEWS

October 16, 2000


Bulldogs bite the Falcons

by Russ Paris
   Special to the Weekly
   On a rainy evening in downtown Seattle when most people were attending the Mariner game or the Deftone's rock concert, Woodinville's Falcons had a date with the Garfield Bulldogs at 8 p.m. at Memorial Stadium.
   The Falcons who have beaten Garfield four straight years appeared confident in pregame warm-ups.
   But, as soon as the game started, you could see that Garfield was playing a t level a notch above.
   Maybe it was influence of Friday the 13th, but the Bulldogs played in another zone. They broke their chain and ran and passed all over the field for 252 total yards.
   Every time Woodinville tried to get back into the game, Garfield countered with big passing plays.
   Offensively, Kevin Agnew was Woodinville's only bright spot. He had 128 yards rushing on 19 carries. Defensively, Kyle West's 11 tackles led the Falcon stop unit.
   The first quarter belonged to the Bulldogs. After a Falcon fumble stopped their drive, the Falcon's defense forced Garfield into a 4th and 3 situation. Woodinville, however, jumped offsides giving the Dogs the freedom to run wild.
   Two plays later, DeShawn Milliken raced 11 yards up the middle for the Garfield score. Noah Gingis kicked the first of four extra points to put the Bulldogs up 7-0.
   In the second period, Issac Stanback and Jamaal Miller showed why they are KingCo 4A's top passing tandem. Stanback rolled out eluding rushing Falcon defenders. giving Miller time to get open. Then in a two-play sequence, Garfield scored its second touchdown with only 1:13 gone in the second period.
   The Falcons, though down 14-0, were momentarily sparked by junior quarterback Kevin Agnew's 76-yard run. Starting on his own 24-yard line, Agnew faked several handoffs, rolled to his right, then headed for the line of scrimmage where he broke free by reversing his field, going across the grain of the Bulldog defense and down the sideline for the score making it 14-7.
   On Garfield's next play, Stanback and Miller connected on a 65-yard pass play over the middle of the field making it 21-7.
   A Falcon fumble then gave the Bulldogs the ball at the WHS 19-yard line and their final score winning the game 28-7.
   The Falcons, now 3-3, continue their effort for a winning season Friday night against Franklin High School.