December 4, 2000
Historical society looking for information on Kenmore's founder
KENMORE - There is little more than a month to go before Founders' Day in Kenmore, and the search is still underway to find descendants of John McMaster.
It was on Jan. 10, 1901, that John McMaster, local shingle mill operator, officially named the area at the northern end of Lake Washington as Kenmore. He and his wife, Annie, had moved from Kenmore, Ontario in 1889 and it was for his hometown in Canada that McMaster named his new hometown.
At the time of his death on June 14, 1930, McMaster was highly regarded in the lumber industry in the state of Washington with his obituary referring to him as the "dean of the shingle men in the Northwest." Before building the shingle mill in Kenmore, McMaster had owned and operated other mills in Skagit County and Snohomish County.
McMaster was survived by his two sons, W.C. McMaster and E.J. McMaster and four daughters, Mrs. B.A. Terry, Mrs. Hugh B. Fielder, Mrs. R.J. Lamont, and Mrs. Clara Niemeyer.
It is not known at this time whether any of his children or their families are living in this area.
According to KHS President Tom Traeger, most of the information about McMaster thus far has been acquired by Priscilla Droge and David Black.
Traeger is interested in hearing from anyone else who may have a knowledge of McMaster descendants or are interested in joining the research of the McMaster family tree.
The Kenmore Heritage Society is planning Kenmore History Week, Jan. 7-13 to celebrate the city's heritage.
On Jan. 10, special activities will take place to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the naming of the town by McMasters.
Details of the events for the week will be published in the weeks ahead.
For further information, please call Tom Traeger at 425-488-2818.