Northwest NEWS

December 18, 2000

Features

Fire Report

KENMORE - At 7:07 a.m. on Dec. 12, the Northshore Fire Department responded to a possible structure fire at CSR Associates, an asphalt plant, located in the 6400 block of NE 175 Street in Kenmore. The call came right after Northshore fire fighters had responded to a medical call at the same address for a burn injury.
   An employee attempted to warm some equipment valves with a torch. An access panel, located in a chase that pulls emissions off the hopper where aggregate is mixed with hot asphalt oil, was opened while the torch was on. The flammable vapors ignited, and the employee was burned. He was transported to Harborview Medical Center for a burn injury.
   The fire spread to a motor in the blower unit and adjacent equipment. Fire fighters extinguished the fire using dry chemical extinguishers. The injury was reported to the Department of Labor & Industries.
   Northshore Fire Department wants to take this opportunity to urge people to use caution when attempting to thaw frozen pipes during cold weather. Frozen pipes should be thawed out slowly. Never apply open flame or a torch. A hair dryer often will thaw pipes as will the application of warm water. If that doesn't work, it may be best to have a professional thaw your pipes.