December 18, 2000
At holiday parties be a friend to guests
AAA offers the following tips on being a friend first, then a good part host during the holidays and all year long:
* Serve a variety of fun, non-alcoholic beverages;
* Serve protein-rich and starchy foods throughout the evening to help retard alcohol consumption;
* Slow down the drinking rate of your guests with lively talk and party games;
* Put away the alcohol when it gets late and bring out the coffee and desserts;
* Encourage carpooling;
* Give a small gift to all the designated drivers;
* Take keys, call a cab, or insist that a guest who has had too much to drink sleep overnight at your home.
AAA has the following brochures available to writers/journalists as a resource:
* Alcohol, Vision & Driving - how alcohol impairs a drivers vision.
* One Drink Can Be Too Many - how alcohol affects the body.
* Plus, AAA has many fun, non-alcoholic drink recipes available.
These materials are available by fax or mail. Please contact Jennifer Harbison at 425-646-2055 to receive a copy of any of our resource materials.