Northwest NEWS

February 19, 2001


Woodinville loses to Bothell in final seconds

* by Russ Paris
   Cross-district rivals Woodinville Falcons and Bothell Cougars played a loser-out playoff game Feb. 13 at Juanita High School that was not decided until the final nine seconds by a failed 3-point Falcon attempt. The loss ended the season for WHS and sent Bothell to the KingCo tournament.
   "I told them we needed to step up a level," said Ron Bollinger, Bothell coach, after the game. "I aged a whole year in that game."
   The competition was fierce with both teams playing as if every shot would be the last one of the game.
   Woodinville seniors, Jake Stern, Dayne Mickelson and Josh Stern, were playing their final game for the Falcons and led the team to a 9-point 17-8 first-quarter lead.
   In the second period, the Cougars behind Tom Zubovic and Jason Rourke, went on a 17-7 run and took a one-point lead, 25-24, into the locker room. Bothell continued their momentum into the third period. Matt Bonorden's two 3-pointers led the Coungar attack that outscored the Falcons 15-9 to take a 40-33 lead at the end of the third.
   Woodinville as a team was up in the first period and down in the second and third, but they regrouped and outplayed the Cougars in the final quarter. Still down by 7, 36-43, with just 2:59 left in the game, the Falcons rallied with good rebounding and offensive execution. Behind Jesse Flaherty, WHS went on a 7-0 run to tie the score 46-46 on Jake Sterns' jump shot from the corner at the 30-second mark. Bothell let the clock run down for one final shot. With just nine seconds left Ryan Rourke was fouled and then hit both free throws.
   On their last possession, the Falcons played to win going for a 3-point shot that rimmed out, thus ending the Birds' season with a 46-48 loss.
   As an unfortunate ending to the game, a fight broke out as fans ignored a warning on the PA system and surged onto the floor. The congestion, pushing and shoving led to a fight involving players and fans from both schools. Kirkland police were called. Early reports identified a WHS player as starting the brief melee, but that was later refuted by witnesses.