Northwest NEWS

March 5, 2001


Report earthquake damage to FEMA

Residents and businesses are advised to report earthquake damage to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
   With last week's announcement that Western Washington was declared a Major Presidential Disaster Area, FEMA is offering assistance to victims of earthquake damage.
   Residents and business owners who have earthquake damage should no longer call the King County Damage Hotline.
   They should now call FEMA at 1-800-462-9029, or ITY 1-800-462-7585, if they think they may be eligible for disaster assistance programs and would like to file a claim. The number is available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. PST seven days a week.
   Victims of earthquake damage are advised they will still need to call the FEMA disaster assistance number even if they have reported damage to King County's Damage Hotline.
   FEMA disaster assistance programs include: low-interest loans; cash grants for low income families that qualify; housing assistance; veterans benefits; tax refunds; excise tax relief.