Northwest NEWS

July 2, 2001

Editorial

Guest Editorial: Please, be careful with fireworks

"Shane Lynch, 13, a 1996-97 Woodmoor Elementary School student, died July 16, 1999, at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle following injuries suffered in a fireworks accident on July 3, 1999. He was born Oct. 25, 1985, in Redmond and had lived in this area all of his life.
   He was a happy, outgoing, athletic boy who was a football, soccer and basketball player, as well as a member of the Everett Swim Team. He loved to travel and fish with his grandparents.
   Shane leaves his parents, Glenda Lynch of Snohomish and Ted Lynch of Marysville; his brother, Kevin Lynch of Snohomish; grandparents, James and Barbara Parson of Woodinville; his great-grandmother, Katherine Jeffries of Sechelt, British Columbia; his uncle, James Parson Jr. of Calgary, Alberta, Canada; his aunt and uncle, Jerry and Linda Parson of Everett; his cousin, Brian Parson of Everett.
   Excerpt from the program at Shane Lynch's memorial service held on July 20, 1999.
  
   We just wanted to remind people of the dangers of fireworks. They killed our grandson, Shane Lynch, two years ago.
   Shane and some of his friends went to a Fourth of July barbecue party where there were fireworks.
   As the boys played with the fireworks, one exploded and Shane was injured. He was airlifted to Harborview. After being in a coma for 13 days, Shane, surrounded by family and friends, was removed from life support.
   We do not want anyone to have to go through what we have gone through and are continuing to go through.
   Please, be careful with fireworks.
   James and Barbara Parson, Glenda Lynch, Kevin Lynch, Brian Parson and friends